We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Looking at these tickets from a reseller. Unable 2 actually "see" the view from ANYWHERE on the internet :( I am taking my girls (18 & 12). Only need 3 seats but will buy 4 and try 2 sell the extra one. Are these seats any good?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

this may help?

irwinseating.com/installations/…

this page would have mentioned it if those seats were not so good:

entertainment-link.com/broadway-theaters.asp

Edited: 10 September 2013, 21:10
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Thanks for the photos! Box seats look decent enough to me, but what do I know?. What is your opinion? The price isn't horrendous, even though I really only need 3 tickets.. Feel free to be brutally honest.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Box seats are typically not very good seats as they usually offer obstructed sight lines. You will have a slightly obstructed view of the stage.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,918 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

When are you going that you are getting tickets from a reseller. Are you absolutely positive there are no tickets available directly from the theater. Please share your dates.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Stubhub requires sellers to disclose any obstructed or partial views. These seats do not have any remarks like that, so I took a chance and bought them. Hoping for the best. Thank you for all of your feedback.

Marietta, Georgia...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Hi. Saw your post on here as I was trying to do some research about the same "box seats" at the Shubert for the Matilda show. Have not yet purchased them but am contemplating doing so for my 8 yr old daughter and I for next week and was just wondering if you ever ended up going and sitting in the box seats you mentioned?I too am finding it difficult to find any info/views about these seats online and just thought perhaps you may be able to give me some helpful feedback. :) Any insight would be greatly appreciated if you have already gone. Thanks so much!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,918 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

As already said in # 3, generally speaking box seats are not the best. They are on the way side of the theater and usually there is a slightly obstructed view. Also, there is always a railing in front of the box ( for safety), so depending upon the height of the railing and the height of your 8 year old--you may have a second vision problem.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

I saw Matilda from Box D, Seat 4. Note that seat number in a box usually has no relation to "row". I bought the seat as a last-minute "walkup".

I had an unusual experience that day. The usher told me, as she had told the others, to take ANY seat we wanted in the box. That did cause the last few to arrive to be a little put out, even though they were are most, one seat away from the railing. I offered to switch with the young adult next to me for the second act, but she declined. I forget whether the seats actually had numbers on them or not.

It's true that box seats are to the side, and miss 10%-20% of the extreme upstage corner on the near side. But very little happens there. I would not worry too much about it. The compensation is that you are very close to the stage, and there are only a few "heads" in front of you, unlike the Orchestra/Stalls.

Since this is still a high-demand show, it's kind of pointless to obsess about seat locations. I sometimes think that visitors who a)Aren't used to paying so much for a ticket and b)Don't know how small most Broadway theaters are, give this research too much importance. (Opinion, but of a 40+ times a year theatergoer.) That is not a criticism, only a guess.

Marietta, Georgia...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Thank you for your informative response. Not having been to the Shubert, was not familiar with their Box situation. As an avid theater patron, I typically do not dwell on such purchases, but because I will have my daughter accompanying me on this trip, figured I should ask before I pulled the trigger. Ended up going through direct venue site and lucked out with great Center Orchestra Row G seats..on the aisle no less, (granted I paid quite a bit for them! LOL!) so if she happens to have a giant sit in front of her, at least she can lean her head to the side & see around to the stage :) Thanks again for your helpful response. Glad I took your advice & continued my search!

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Matilda - Shubert Theatre - Mezzanine Right Box D row 1

Kathleen L.,

There should be booster seats available in the theater. If you don't see them, ask an usher for help.