We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

I was reading about the PATH trains going to Newark are pretty cheap. Going to be coming back from Atlantic City to the New York Port Authority Bus Terminal. From there or anywhere near (don't mind walking) what would be the cheapest option?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,169 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,053 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
1. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 16:53
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

The $16. bus is direct from Port Authority to the terminal at Newark Airport.

Yes - You can walk roughly three quarters of a mile from the bus terminal at 42nd St. / 8th Avenue to the PATH train at 33rd St. / 6th Avenue. It is a very safe and pleasant walk. The PATH train is $2.25 - you have to change at Journal Square (Jersey City) for the train to Newark. At Newark Penn you go downstairs and take the #62 bus into the airport for another couple dollars and some change.

The $16. bus will get you there in under an hour while the PATH and the #62 bus may take well over two hours when you factor in the walking and changing.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

Thanks everyone. By walking I meant walking to the nearest station from port authority to catch the PATH....

I do have an unlimited metro card that I will use from port authority to get to closest PATH connection

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,825 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

For $12.50 you can take Airtrain to EWR from Penn Station NYC in under 30 min www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

ipswich
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

Am I right in thinking that if I want to get from EWR to WTC then I take the Airtrain for $5.50 to Newark Liberty Airport Station. Then I would take the #62 bus to Newark Penn Station for $2.25 and then the PATH to WTC for another $2.25?

Sounds a lot of time and hassle! Would it be easier for me to get the $12.50 EWR-Penn Station NYC for only an extra $2.50 and then find my way to WTC from there?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,825 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

You want to take Airtrain from EWR to Newark Penn Station (not New York Penn Station) and the get on the PATH to WTC for $2.50

www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

I am not sure whether Airtrain to Newark is cheaper than Airtrain to New York (12.50)

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

A think a better question is why are you going to NY at all. The 319 bus stops in Newark from AC.

ipswich
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

From the map available on this link, it seems that the airtran only stops at Newark Liberty Airport Station and you seemingly have to make your own way to Newark Penn Station (which I assume is #62 bus based on a previous post), is this the case?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,825 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

The Airtrain link is really 2 different trains

1. a monorail that takes you from EWR to the Newark Liberty Train Station

2. using your Airtrain ticket, you board any NJ Train headning into NYC. All of those trains also stop at Newark Penn Station

It's one ticket, not two. Your Airtrain ticket pays for everything

ipswich
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheapest way to get to Newark Airport?

Great! So it will just be one airtrain and one PATH to WTC! That's sorted then! Thanks all!