We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Hi first off can I just say I love reading this forum! The information is great and it's getting me so excited about my trip!

I'm heading to NYC on 25th jan 2014 I'm taking my mum foe her 60th (I'm 32).

We're flying into Newark from glasgow and staying in the Milford Plaza (first question of many - are we best getting the train to penn station and walking to hotel?).

The list of things we want to do in our 5 day 4 night trip are as follows

TOTR

Grand central station

9/11 memorial

Tenement museum

See Motown on broadway

Bus tour to get our bearings (I've been twice before but want to cover more ground without freezing)

Food - Tribeca grill (am i right in saying this is restaurant week) maybe afternoon tea at plaza for her birthday? Katz deli

Shops - Tiffany & co, century 21 Macy's Bloomingdales fao Swartz magnolia bakery

I'd like to see the building where Carrie lived on SATC and equally the friends building as I'm a big fan of both shows.

I'm sure I read of a place that recreates frank Sinatra type era where they also have tribute type acts? Can u help.

Strawberry fields and Dakota building and anything else Beatles related as she is a big fan.

Cocktails somewhere swanky but where we won't feel awkward

A boat trip so we can get pics of lady liberty and skyline but without freezing our butts off too much

Walk the Brooklyn bridge (ill wrap up for that one)

I also wondered if it was feasible to go to Newark as I would like to visit the church where Whitney Houston was a member although I don't want to appear in bad taste as I read a topic on here lately regarding gospel churches and I wouldn't want to go if I wasn't welcome or offend anyone.

I think I've asked enough of you all already so ill stop here. Can you help me try in put this in some sensible order please as my last trip I think I wasted such valuable time wandering aimlessly and I love NYC so much I want to see as much as we can.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I apologies for poor punctuation etc but its a nightmare typing on an iPad!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Ha ha...ipads...groan..even when I use the ipad keyboard attachment it's different and does my head in.

Your itinerary will really depend on whether or not you go to the Church as that will change everything.

While you are waiting for a local to respond to that question, I would suggest using google maps (on ipad - yuck, can you get on a computer or laptop). Anyway, that will help you group things...put each item on a separate piece of paper and sort them into piles:

* downtown (Financial District, Lower East Side, SoHo, Chelsea etc etc and the Brooklyn Bridge is close to the Financial District)

* midtown (14th? - 59th - a local will let me know if I've got the lower street number wrong)

* uptown (above 59th - the Southern edge of Central Park)

Google maps has a great function called "get directions' which can help you work out your routes between sites - walking and/or train/bus or taxi (the last is not really necessary).

Just book Motown for a night...no need to think too much about when to do that,

Do the bus tour early in your trip - GrayLine is recommended of all the Hop On - Hop Off buses.

Don't rely on it for transportation during your stay, get a weekly subway/bus ticket for each of you (you'll break even at 13 trips which you will do in 5 days)

The only other thing I would suggest you do is book a tour at the Tenement Museum as they sell out in advance. That will help you start an itinerary as you work from that point. Katz's is nearby.

Good luck with your planning.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

The last thing you want to be doing is running up and down all day so grab a map and allocate a number to each place you want to go. Have a look where the numbers fall on a map and then group those things into a day. I.e upper west side day, financial district/southern manhattan day. You can then use google maps to work out the best way to get around each day.

The get directions function on google maps is awesome cause it will tell you how to get from A to B whether you are walking, taking public transport or driving.

Once your done post your itinerary on here and you'll get great advice on how feasible it is any ideas for tweaking it if necessary.

I also advising zooming right in on google maps to see what's near where you're going. I've found some awesome things that way.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Carolmcn,

You may already have this but if not this is the website for the church. I am sure they wont mind having people to share in their services. It's a church and as long as you show respect then the church will welcome visitors.

http://www.newhopenewark.org/contact/

Newark Broad Street looks like the train stop you would get off but I am sure that you will get help if you post on the Newark forum (if you have not already done so).

A suggestion re Brooklyn Bridge and the SOL is why not take the NY water taxi from midtown to Battery Park (you can walk from there to 9/11 Memorial and this will give you time to get to the memorial and back to boat ) then you can stay on get photo opportunity at SOL (they stop for a few minutes to let you get a photo) then on to Brooklyn where you can get off and walk the bridge. Alternatively book the memorial separately and take the subway and Staten Island Ferry to get your snap of SOL. I have not been on the water taxi in winter but if you just go out to take the photos that should work ok.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Have you considered including the Met in your itinerary? It's really a breathtakingly fabulous place. It's not all about decorative arts. It's also a great way to get out of the cold or other bad weather.

I'll help start you off with ideas for Midtown and your todo list.

TOTR (also watch ice skating at Rock Center), Grand Central Terminal, Tiffany's, FAO Schwartz and a bit of Central Park all fit nicely together and provide a nice variation. Also Bloomingdale's if you have time and energy later in the day.

Assuming you don't plan to do a multi-hour trek through Central Park, you this could be your "swanky" day where you are bit dressed up and have your afternoon tea or afternoon cocktails near Central Park. You could start the day by grabbing a quick breakfast in GCT.

That's just a start with how you might organize one of your days.

Not related to midtown, but since you're into places with TV/Film connections, note that Katz's Deli was featured in "When Harry Met Sally" -- the "I'll have what she's having" restaurant scene. It also has a to-die-for pastrami on rye sandwich. As Jenny mentioned, it's near the Tenement Museum. Be prepared for lines, but they move quickly and it's worth it. Try to go off peak. Picking up one of their whole salamis to take back with you makes a great souvenir (no refrigeration needed until you cut into it).

Level Contributor
36,311 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Looks like a great plan! You will love Katz Deli! They have excellent cheesecake too. :)

Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

Hi again. Right I've tried to make this as sensible as possible - your input it most welcome

Arrive approx 11.30 sat am jan 25th

Train to penn station them walk to Milford plaza

Check in freshen up and head out to explore. I'm planning on getting the hop on hop off bus to get our bearings if time allows maybe TOTR . After this back to hotel change. Out for a meal and finish the night at carnegie club to see frank Sinatra tribute.

Up early and travel to New Jersey for mass at new hope baptist church ( is leaving from penn station the best way to get there?)

Think we will be back around 1. Think we will use this opportunity to get some pictures at strawberry fields central and get used to the subway ? Maybe get pics at carries stoop and friends building etc. or alternatively Chelsea market if opened on a sun?

I've seen a deal for the river cruise and we might opt for this on the sun night?

Monday - Ellen's star dust diner for breakfast, subway to 9/11 memorial, St. Paul's chapel and century 21. Go across and walk back from the Brooklyn bridge and explore china town. No plans for evening yet but maybe ice skating?

Tue - Staten Island ferry. (Would I miss this out if I do the cruise) Grand central station and the tenement museum and Katz deli for lunch. Tue night Motown on Broadway

Wed - saving my shopping till last so I know what my budget is, Tiffany's, Macy's, toys r us magnolia bakery etc

Anything else I can squeeze in as our flight leaves Newark at 22.30

I'd really appreciate your help thanks in advance xx

7. Re: Can you help me coordinate my trip please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:16