We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

Doncaster
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

how much would you expect to tip in cab from Newark to Lower East Side bearing in mind cab was $56 and Toll $18 and driver was a bit of a dick.....

I thought $20 was very generous any thoughts.....

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

You tip 20% of the base fare, not including the tolls. So that's ~$12 on a $56 fare.

What was wrong with the driver?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

you were very generous. I'd probably also give him $12 unless he drove you home in ice...

dont want to guess at what was dick-ish, but if he had trouble finding his way around the Lower East Side, a NYC cab would have the same issues. Anything off the grid is a mystery to most drivers.

suitcaseready.com

Doncaster
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

was basically going on all the trip about tips and how he should get $30+ to be honest if didn't have daughter with him would have given him nothing...

Spent all the time talking on mobile to his mate in Arabic probably about us!

Hey live and learn..

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

with all due respect, it could be the people with your similar accent who were in his cab before you were the problem. He probably got stiffed for the tip one too many times by people who say they don't tip where they live.

there are restaurants here that will add a tip on the bill for anyone with your accent. Or, there will be a note at the bottom of the bill explaining that tips are not included in any restaurant that gets a lot of British/European visitors.

A few months ago, a maitre d in a dim sum place in Chinatown actually told me that I had to tip. I was dressed in a khaki cargo skirt so he probably assumed I was a visitor - I was mortified. I'm guessed to be local in Paris!

People have no shame these days.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 22:31
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

Driver was being a NYC driver. No need to assume that he/she was speaking about you or he/she was being a d%$k. $20 was fine.

DON'T let a silly thing like that spoil your visit.

Doncaster
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

No wont spoil my trip just one of those things we get this kind of thing back home too and pretty much all over the world..

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

Yes, $20 was very generous!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

Unfortunately this happened to me too on a trip last year. The driver spent the whole journey from JFK to my hotel telling me about how little money he makes and how his daughter was soon going to college etc and how people don't tip him enough. I just wanted to say "don't worry, I'm going to give you a good tip!" But couldn't get a word in edge ways!!

I know we Brits have a bad reputation for not tipping so I tend to over compensate, I once tipped a cab driver $35 on a trip to JFK!!! Perhaps those of us who do tip need a badge to say "yes, I have the accent but I also tip!!"?

9. Re: Taxi Tipping Newark to Lower East Side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:18