We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

We are heading over at Thanksgiving and noticed that the NYBG has the Holiday Train show on, which looks interesting and we like to get in the holiday spirit and do Christmassy things when we go to NYC.

We would probably go the Sunday or Monday after Thanksgiving. Do we need to pre-book? The website says it sells out on some dates but not sure if all our group will want to go so if it is not totally necessary I would rather pay when we go if that's going to be possible. I note that the tickets are on pre-sale for Mastercard holders and go on sale this week so want to make a decision soon.

I understand we need to take the Metro North Train to get there. I will have a look at the timetable.

How long would you expect to spend at the exhibit/show?

I am not a zoo person so don't really fancy the Bronx Zoo but is there anywhere else we should visit nearby the NYBG?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Metro North
Metro North
169 Reviews
Princeton, NJ
Bronx Zoo
Bronx Zoo
2,630 Reviews
Bronx, NY
1. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2013, 11:35
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

We belong to the NYBG, which is a major, mostly outdoor attraction even without the Train Show. While it is an attractive event, last year I thought it had too many cute buildings made out of dried botanical materials and not enough trains or live plants. That is a very personal opinion and should not put you off.

I would say book in advance for Sunday, not for Monday. The real issue is whether you are willing to go to the zoo, food shop on "Italian" Arthur Avenue, or walk around the Fordham Univ. Campus if you are told you can't get in for two or three hours. If the rest of NYBG doesn't interest you, I'd consider settling for midtown Holiday displays and store windows. You can also take the subway, with your Meteocard to get here.It is perfectly safe to walk from the subway, but farther than Metro North.

Mentioned in this post
Metro North
Metro North
169 Reviews
Princeton, NJ
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

Thanks for your advice.

We will probably go on the Monday and may book once we are in New York. We will have a weekly Subway pass so will probably take the subway then. I know someone at Fordham Uni so may meet up with them while in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Subway
Subway
6 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

FYI, Fordham has two campuses. The original, Britiish-university-looking one is in the Bronx, their Law School and newer campus is in Manhattan, next to Lincoln Center.

Mentioned in this post
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
609 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

I'm with obsoperator. We also regularly visit NYBG and went to the holiday train show one year. We were pretty disappointed and have yet to return in subsequent years. I can't point to specific shortcomings, but it just wasn't that interesting or special. I suppose maybe little kids would find it enjoyable, I don't know.

Personally, I think just walking around Manhattan and looking at decorated windows and whatnot would be enjoyable and get one in the holiday spirit. I wouldn't make a special trip to visit NYBG, assuming you have a limited time to spend in NYC. That said, if you do go, you should consider visiting the food shops on Arthur Avenue and stop for lunch of dinner. In that case, you should avoid Sunday as the food shops tend to be closed, I believe. Also, please be sure to check opening hours for restaurants. I'm not sure they're typically open on Mondays.

Enjoy your time in NYC.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

Thanks to you both. We may just stay in Manhattan as you advise. We visit NYC regularly at this time of year and were just looking for something new to do to get us in the holiday spirit. We appreciate your feedback as we don't have that long and want to make the best of it.

7. Re: Holiday Train show at NY Botanic Gardens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:19