We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi versus train

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Taxi versus train

My partner and I will be arriving in to JFK at approx 14:00 hrs on December 5th. We are staying at the Roosevelt hotel 45 th & Madison ave. Given the weather conditions time of day etc will we be better off getting a taxi from the airport to our hotel or using the train and arriving in to grand central terminal. We are prepared to pay 70 bucks or so for a cab but if the weather is bad will it seriously increase our journey time

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi versus train

There are unlikely to be weather issues. Rain slows things down but if you're talking about snow that's really pretty early for it in NYC. The bigger issue is whether you'll be hitting the start of the rush hour. If you're flying out of Dublin and pre-clear Customs and Immigration there you'll certainly be out of the airport before the worst of the rush hour, assuming your flight is on time. If your flight is delayed or you'll need to clear Customs and Immigration at JFK you might be leaving the airport at a heavier traffic time.

Just be sure to go to the regular yellow taxi line and ignore all touts.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi versus train

Agree. Take a taxi from outside the terminal and relax until you get to your hotel.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi versus train

Personally I prefer the train but it is really individual preference.

I don't enjoy being in a taxi and I always feel a lot less safe than I do on the train.

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi versus train

Our flight is due to land at 13:30 and we will have pre cleared customs and immigration in Dublin so it will just be a matter of grabbing our bags and leaving the terminal. So I think we have decided on grabbing a cab

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi versus train

The first time we visited we took a cab there and back it was from Newark an the driver was not too sure of routes you can book dial 7 a taxi service online. On our return the hotel arranged a cab but we were quoted a price an very fast smooth service after that we have always taken the train as we are more familiar of areas ECT cab takes stress out of it after a long flight

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,757 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi versus train

A yellow cab is fixed price of $52 plus tip and tolls so it comes to around $70. Yes, there are drivers in Newark who get lost in Manhattan. A NYC yellow cab ( from the cab line ONLY) will have no problem locating Madison and 45th street. It is against their interest to drive you around since it IS flat fare and they want to get you there and get rid of you!

Personally, the idea of taking the train after a transatlantic flight gives me the jitters. Just handling a suitcase, carryon and pocketbook--more than I ever want to tackle.

Washington State
Level Contributor
631 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi versus train

Train from JFK is the Airtrain to Jamaica, then Long Island RR to Penn Station, not Grand Central Terminal.

8. Re: Taxi versus train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:17