We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intrepid Museum

Montreal
Level Contributor
811 posts
435 reviews
Save Topic
Intrepid Museum

My 13 year old son is really looking forward to seeing this museum during our upcoming trip. We are planning on seeing this museum either Saturday or Sunday morning (preferably Saturday morning). We want to see the submarine, the Concorde, the space shuttle and the aircraft carrier. How long does it usually take to see all of this?

I read that if we buy our tickets ahead of time we do not have to line up to get in.

Any advice about how to approach this visit in terms of timing, how long the average visit should take, etc.?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intrepid Museum

I would visit their website. It has a lot of good information.

we have had success visiting when it opens as many people are still walking around or finishing breakfast.

Have fun we loved it

Montreal
Level Contributor
811 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intrepid Museum

I have visited their website but I would really appreciate some first hand advice. When you went, did you have to buy separate tickets to see the Shuttle? Also, in the General Admission, I don't see mention of the Concorde - it is safe to assume that it is included in the ticket? I see tickets sold for guided tours of the Concorde.

Also, how long did your visit last?

Thanks for any advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intrepid Museum

When I took my boys ( pre space shuttle ) it took us about 3 hours , to look all around the ship , submarine and Concorde , my boys also rode the aircraft elevator from the flight deck to the hanger deck and back , ( I think that was on at about 11 am weekends though you may want to email them to see if they still do this )

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intrepid Museum

I also went pre-shuttle and it was a 3-4 hour visit. There are often interesting demonstrations or talks - I stumbled across an astronaut who had just returned from the ISS and his talk was fascinating.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
701 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intrepid Museum

You can walk right up to the Concorde and look at it from the outside - walk under it, around it, etc. - that's included in the general admission price - but to go inside it, you have to pay extra for the Concorde tour. My boyfriend and I opted not to do the Concorde tour when we went b/c it seemed too expensive at the time all things considered, but afterward he had (non-)buyer's remorse and so we plan to do the Concorde tour next time we go. (And we'll get to see the shuttle too....the time we went it was JUST before they opened the shuttle exhibit. I think we spent about 3 hours total looking at everything, including going through the Growler submarine. We both really enjoyed it.)

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intrepid Museum

Coupon for 20% off the price of the general admission tickets:

smartsave.com/print-merchant-intrepid-sea-ai…

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intrepid Museum

The extra $20 or so is well worth it to go inside the Concorde. It's a small group (6 max I think) with a guide who will give you a brief history of the Concorde program with some visual aids, then fill you in on this plane specifically. G-BOAD has a special place in Concorde lore, then you finish by going in pairs into the cockpit. So analog, so awesome.

I have not been since the Shuttle came onboard so my general trip plus Concorde took a couple hours in the early afternoon of a weekday. You do know you don't get to go inside the shuttle? so I'm not sure how much money/time I'd spend for that.

Montreal
Level Contributor
811 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intrepid Museum

Thanks for all the information, it is really helpful. I think I will buy the Concorde tour, I think it would be really interesting to see inside the plane.

9. Re: Intrepid Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 06:20