We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Greeter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Big Apple Greeter

I requested a greeter in March and that was acknowledged. Get to NYC tomorrow and haven't heard anything from them :(.

can I still hold out hope until the last minute or if you don't get a greeter do they not bother to let you know.

I had Greeters choice and 7 months ahead I was expecting we would be lucky but maybe not.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Send them a follow up email and see what happens.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Was it just an acknowledgement of your request or was it a confirmation that you were assigned a Greeter? They are two different things. And if you were assigned a Greeter they would have contacted you before now.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Apple Greeter

I have also requested a BAG for an visit and had an acknowledgment. They say they usually confirm 7-10 days before arrival but to regularly check emails. They will leave a message at the hotel if they are unable to send anyone.

Hope you get one! I have also booked months in advance.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Check you spam folder

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,644 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Apple Greeter

I just checked my email from my last visit, does your acknowledgement say anything like this:

"We will work on matching your with a greeter, but please note that you do not have a greeter yet. When we contact you with your greeter’s name and phone number, then your greeter is confirmed.

Most visitors hear from us about 7 to 10 days before arriving in New York City. If you do not hear from us, our silence does not mean that we have forgotten about you. Please do not submit another request.

If you do not hear from us before you leave home, that means we are still working to match you with a greeter.

Please check your email as you travel. Upon arrival in New York City, check for a voice message, email or FAX from Big Apple Greeter.

If we are unable to match you with a greeter, you will receive an email or telephone call from us with our regrets. Sometimes you will receive this message at your New York City accommodation. "

glasgow
Level Contributor
91 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Ziggy could be right

We had an acknowledgement before we went to NYC and right up until we left we heard nothing more until our first night in our hotel when we received a phone call from our Greeter saying that he’d meet us in our hotel lobby at 10am the next morning, thinking it was odd that we hadn’t heard anything before we left home we checked our emails and found it in the spam folder which to be honest I rarely check.

Next morning we met our Greeter and had a fantastic day out with one of the nicest men you could ever hope to meet.

We opted for Greeters choice too and he gave us a tour of our hotel neighbourhood (Les)

Good Luck hope you get one........

West Yorks
Level Contributor
817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Apple Greeter

If you select Greeter's choice (as I have) do they tend to show you around the neighborhood of your hotel? I had been planning on doing that myself on the afternoon of my arrival (the day before) so don't want to duplicate it.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 15:26
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Apple Greeter

I got the acknowledgement months ago but nothing since. Sounds like I shouldn't give up hope yet though

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Apple Greeter

I got the acknowledgement months ago but nothing since. Sounds like I shouldn't give up hope yet though

UPDATE

Got to NYC today and had message no greeters available. Seems booking 7 months ahead was not early enough:(

Then got two emails in a row from free tours by foot first wanting me to confirm Sundays booking then cancelling our tour because I hadn't replied. Don't have 3G 9verseas and have been travelling so wasnt able to see email and reply instantly. Feels a bit unfair when I booked in April they didn't ask me to confirm the week before If they had I would have.

Feeling a bit down about my NYC trip Feel like I spend so many months planning and its not working out :(

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Apple Greeter

Oh sorry to hear that kiwisarah. Do you have the details of other tours you could contact quickly for the coming

Sunday....