We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

We are a party of 6 - 3 adults & 3 kids (ages 12 and under) in NYC for the first time to see the sights and take daughter to a Broadway show. Looking for advice on where to stay thats safe and convenient to see the sites. We'd like to see the SOL, Broadway, Times Square, Skate in Central Park, maybe Yankee Stadum...etc. We want to cram in as much as we can in the 3.5 days we have there. Any advice on where to get the cheapest tickets, tours and hotel accommodation would be greatly appreciated. Hotels are so expensive, can we cram 6 of us into a 4 person room?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

Dates and nightly hotel budget in USD would help. "Budget" means different things to different people..

Stamford...
Level Contributor
831 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

No, you can't cram six people into a four person room. The rooms are small and occupancy has to do with fire codes.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

No, you cannot put extra people into a room for 4. The number of people permitted in a particular room is strictly regulated (fire codes, safety, etc). If you are caught, there could be legal consequences (theft of services).

If you are flying into JFK or LGA, staying in Long Island City (a neighborhood in Queens) is a convenient option. There are a number of less expensive hotels there, and it's a very quick ride into Manhattan. Note that not all LIC hotels are located near the subway, so you need to chose wisely. Here's a prior thread with info about LIC hotel locations: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g48080-i2734-k6104…

If you'd like some specific recommendations, include your budget, exact dates (prices fluctuate), and how many beds you will need. Can everyone share? Is a sofa bed acceptable?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

the issue of how many people can be put into one room aside, I just want to mention that when my family (of 4) travels we take an air bed for our daughter and get a king or 2 queens + sofabed + our own air bed = 4 people. I've never had a hotel complain about it and yes, they know we're doing it

Also, pick your hotel before you pick your airport because I think you may well end up in Long Island City (because it's cheaper) and you would not want to fly into Newark if you're staying in LIC

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

But the room was a legal room for 4, correct? Bringing your own bedding to redistribute a family of 4 in a room for 4 is different from putting a family of 6 into a room for 4.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

yes, a legal room for 4. Not 6

my point, which I guess I wasn't clear about, was just that if they can get a room with 2 beds but no roll out, that they could also bring an air bed for the 3rd person and do the same for a 2nd room (6 people total) or something like that

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

Or budget is as cheap as possible. $250/night or less for all of us.

We are not fancy and we are a well travelled budget conscious family. A futon/ pull out bed or even blow up mattress is acceptable as long as the price reflects this.

We dont expect to be spending much time in the room.

We will be there Oct 28 or 29 -Nov 1or 2.

We'd need 3 beds. (2 people in each)

Safety and convenience to the subway are our main priorities as we are only there for a short time and want to cram as much of the touristy sights in as possible and take our daughter to a broadway play.

Any help/advice you could offer would be awesome.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

And we fly into JFK.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

Wow, that budget is REALLY tough. I think there may be a reasonable option though.

Long Island City (a neighborhood in Queens) is a convenient and more affordable option. It's a quick subway ride into Manhattan. Only certain hotels in that neighborhood are convenient to the subway though.

The Quality Inn on 40th Ave is near the subway. It is a very budget 2 star hotel. You will need to book 2 rooms, but if you go to their own website, enter a room for 2 adults + 2 kids, then click on the specials tab, you can get that room for 4 for $117. Then just book another for the remaining person (which is $95). Or experiment with splitting the group differently. qualityinn.com/hotel-long_island_city-new_yo…

I looked from Oct 28-Nov 1. The other dates might be slightly different. Note that the rates don't include ~15% tax.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 22:16
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best for location/Budget for family friendly trip

Correction: The second room would be for 2, not 1, but it's still $95