We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to after New York City?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to after New York City?

My friend and I will be visiting New York next year in the first two weeks of July for a wedding. We'll finish our trip over on the West Coast (Vegas, LA, Grand Canyon, San Fran, Yosemite), but have a few spare days (about 4) before we head there.

We are two girls in our late 20s and enjoy wildlife, the great outdoors, museums and art galleries, good food, shopping, and don't mind being active - cycling, kayaking, hiking.

Ideas we've been considering include Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Maine (Bar Harbor), Cape Cod... If we go to a city it would be nice if there was a national park/nice natural area nearby to explore.

The main thing is it needs to be reasonably easy to get to from NY, and easy to get around. We don't want to hire a car, so will be relying on planes, trains, and public transport.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to after New York City?

I don't think you can manage Bar Harbor without a car. Cape Cod is doable but tricky. You could make your way to Provincetown on the very top of Cape Cod. It is very different from other parts of the Cape. Very lively with the very pretty cape cod national seashore right there. You can rent bikes and explore.

Boston is easy without a car and for nature nearby you have the HarborvIslands

Edited: 20 September 2013, 02:21
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to after New York City?

That is the Harbor Islands. Sorry for the typo.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to after New York City?

Second vote for Boston. Very different from NYC. Also very walkable for exploring, easy to get to via a pleasant trip on Amtrak.

Instead of landed national parks, head out on the ocean for a Whale Watch! Or a ferry to Provincetown on Cape Cod and its beaches (staying there for a night or two). There are also beautiful nature places to explore very near Boston.

Post to the Boston forum. I'm feeling like I've already said to much about Boston on the NYC forum.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to after New York City?

You just might enjoy Montreal....it is a beautiful city....fantastic food....great transportation system....shopping is like Europe all the latest fashion.....many small boutiques.....outdoor cafes.....the City is like no other you will find in North America.....

Would never rush back to Bar Harbour....cheap tourist mecca to my mind......

Cape Cod is nice but you really would need a car.....

I am in & out of Toronto all the time....Porter Airline flys right into downtown Toronto...it is the most diverse city in the world.....but if i had a choice of visiting a Canadian city it would be Montreal....

Plus i am Canadian....

London, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to after New York City?

I'd also vote for Boston. Such an easy trip from NYC on Amtrak and so much history in such a compact city. Enjoy !

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to after New York City?

+1 for Boston. But I haven't been there yet myself ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to after New York City?

Another vote for Boston. Beautiful city, very walkable, really polite/well mannered people and the flight is quick from NY.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to after New York City?

Bar Harbor is beautiful but you do need a car. Fly to Bangor and rent a car there if you can.

Another place that comes to mind is Sedona, but again a car would be necessary. Unless there are buses from Phoenix. Sedona is stunning, arguably the most beautiful town in the US.

I would also consider New Orleans. Amazing food, history and plenty of outdoors stuff to do. Boston is nice but I would opt for the others for their uniqueness

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to after New York City?

"Would never rush back to Bar Harbour....cheap tourist mecca to my mind"

Are you talking about Bar Harbor or Acadia. BH is a tourist town yes, but people who go there go for the park, not the town. There's a lot to explore and plenty to do on both sides of mount dessert island. You can go lobstering, hiking, climb Cadillac mountain, canoeing, biking. Eating lobster rolls at Jordan's pond is worth the trip in itself.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to after New York City?

Lots of good things in New Orleans but I would not voluntarily vacation there in July. While nobody can predict next summer's weather today, odds are high that July in New Orleans will be hot and humid, and that is not for me.