We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

Hi

I am travelling to New York City in November. After spending 10 days in the city my friend and I are wanting to travel from NYC to the Hamptons, Newport, Boston and then the Niagara Falls.

We have one day to get from NYC to Newport and we were hoping that we could go via the Hamptons for lunch. We would love to stay in the Hamptons for longer but we just do not have time. So my first question is, how do you recommend we get from NYC to Newport? Is it worth trying to squeeze in a visit to the Hamptons?

We will be in Newport for two nights and then we plan to travel from Newport to Boston. How do you recommend we travel between these two places?

Finally, what is the best way to get from Boston to Buffalo?

At the moment I am thinking of hiring a car in NYC early on the morning that we leave, drive to the Hamptons for lunch and then get the car ferry to Newport. Keep the car while we are in Newport so that we can easily get around and see RI then drive to Boston where we will leave the hire car. Spend a few days in Boston and then hire another car and drive to Buffalo in one day (which I understand is a long drive).

What do you think?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
136 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,111 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
994 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,385 reviews
from US$36.00*
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

The Hamptons will be very quiet in November.

The Ferry to New London CTLondon CT leaves from Orient Point which is the tip of the north fork of LI. Map: http://goo.gl/maps/EzVP2 (The Hamptons are on the south fork.) https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.aspx There are driving directions from the south fork on the ferry website. Ferry reservations a good idea.

Instead of the Hamptons, you might also consider seeing some wineries, of which there are many, especially on the north fork. http://www.liwines.com/?page_id=14

I think Route 1 from New London to Newport is quite scenic, as it is close to the shore and goes through some interesting towns.

Newport is lovely, especially if you like mansions. http://www.gonewport.com/

And you might consider stopping in Plymouth on your way to Boston. http://www.seeplymouth.com/

Boston to Buffalo will be a slog, but is pretty straight forward. http://goo.gl/maps/zxaxp (But, you might check into the cost of flying from Boston to Buffalo, to see if it is a better use of your vacation time.)

Also, consider renting an EZpass (electronic toll payment) in your rental car, it can save some time on the road.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 02:50
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,757 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

The best way to get from Boston to Buffalo is to fly. As you indicated, you'll want to get rid of your car for your Boston time. Parking is expensive and a car is not particularly useful for getting around Boston (you'd just be figuring out where to park and paying loads of fees). Plus it's a VERY long drive to NF. BOS-BUF airfares are relatively affordable, and it's easy to get to Boston's airport (it's very near city center and you can get there by public transit or a short taxi ride).

Doing Long Island and the ferry to get from NYC to Newport is not the most efficient route, but if you really want to take the opportunity to see something different, it isn't a terrible idea. I wouldn't necessarily recommend taking the detour to the Hamptons though. The ferry leaves from the end of North Fork, not The Hamptons and there are some pretty and interesting spots along that route.

Are you really positive that Niagara Falls is a "must" for this trip? It will be a major time investment to get there, and it's not the best season for a visit. Several attractions will be closed for the season, and the scenery will be more bleak than in other seasons. Trees will be bare, but you are also unlikely to have pretty snow and ice.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 03:46
New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

Do you have any experience driving in snow? That is definitely a possibility in November in NY's "snow belt." And automobile-related expenses for these last 2 legs of this trek (gas, tolls, car rental & related taxes + insurance) won't be cheap. Even tho' I own a car, my office won't reimburse me for driving to the part of NY unless I can demonstrate it's cheaper to drive, which isn't usually the case.

Jet Blue has a number of flights between Boston, Buffalo & NYC. Check their price (if you are adamant about seeing Niagara Falls) for a multi-city ticket: Boston->Buffalo->NYC; you may be pleasantly surprised.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

Do you enjoy driving in snow and potentially blizzard conditions? November is when that region starts to experience severe weather. That is the snow belt. When the cold weather starts crossing the warm air of the Great Lakes, you get massive snow squalls.

jetBlue is an excellent airline and they have frequent nonstop flights between Boston and Buffalo. They're really great and they generally offer very low fares. Do not drive Boston - Buffalo.

The Hamptons won't work for your drive to Newport however the North Fork would work and it would also be much more enjoyable. Greenport is very nice and very charming.

Dump the hire car at Boston and do not bother with the expensive parking in Boston or the high cost of tolls on the route between Boston and Buffalo and especially don't subject yourself to the severe winter weather along that route.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

We've driven Boston to Buffalo a few times. It is a very long drive with not a lot en route.

If you can afford to fly, fly.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 05:17
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

If you were to drive from Boston to Niagara Falls, the quickest way through New York State is on the Thruway (Route 90). It is a divided highway with not a lot of scenery. The drive will take you most of one day.

When in November are you driving through? The later you come, the greater the chances of snow. We get lake effect snow up here in Central New York which means you will go from bright sun to white out conditions in a matter of minutes. You might not get any snow but you might get slammed.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

Thanks everyone for the messages. We have decided to fly to the falls. As we are coming all the way from Australia we still want to see them while we are in that part of the world.

Thanks for the North Fork tips the vineyards sound like a fun thing to do too.

You have all been very helpful. Thank you!

8. Re: New York- Boston- Buffalo Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:22