We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Cap Tipping

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Red Cap Tipping

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 Children) travelling from New York to Boston on 2nd January via Amtrak. I am looking at using the Red Cap service however want to make sure I tip correctly, as we are not use to tipping in Australia. How much should I tip? I am hoping to be traveling with only 3 suitcases. Also far in advance should we arrive at Penn Station to catch the train? Many thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Cap Tipping

I would tip $20. Get there 30-45 minutes before the train to have time to organize the Red Cap.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Cap Tipping

Great. Thank you

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red Cap Tipping

Another advantage to using a Red Cap & arriving early as per Kate's recommendation: the Red Cap will get you and your family down to the platform & into the train before the general boarding call is made. Which means you can get seats together & get settled in before the rest of the passengers pile on :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red Cap Tipping

This is really worth it. It is really unpleasant to be in the chaotic rush upstairs. Very stressful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Red Cap Tipping

Do you tip before they take you down or after?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red Cap Tipping

We recently used the services of the red cap porter for our Amtrak trip from New York City to Washington DC. There was 6 of us in the group and we had 6 cases, we waited in the Acela lounge and they made an announcement for our train service. The porter took all our luggage down to the train, assisted us on board and placed all the luggage in the storage area. We tipped him $40.00 once we were on the train. We also used the same service at our destination.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red Cap Tipping

It sounds like a great service, especially when traveling with a family. Definitely think I will use this service.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Red Cap Tipping

I took Amtrak from NYC to Washington DC this year and used the Red Cap service solely because I had a fractured foot. I only had one suitcase and tipped $10.00. It was worth it for me to ensure that I was on the train before the rush and my luggage was safely stored.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,179 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Red Cap Tipping

Tip him after you are on the train.

m s
Orlando, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Red Cap Tipping

I used the Red Cap Service and OVER TIPPED... I tipped with my heart... the Red Caps was there when I arrived in Penn Station/Newark they were at the doors to the train and later standing at the curb on the return trip... They had a CLEAN Shiny wheelchair and luggage cart... taking care of my needs including stopping for a news paper & snacks...Picked up & checked my bags they even sought information and put me on a local commuter train for my continued destination... Let me also say they were polite, clean & starched, shoes polished.... being physically challenged I was overwhelmed at the fact that I can travel alone their dedication to providing a service was simply amazing... My advise... Tip Well!