We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagment Rings?

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Engagment Rings?

Firstly, let me state that I have given myself a budget of $800.

Not because I can't afford it, but because it's just jewellery at the end of the day....it doesn't keep us warm or stop us from going hungry, it's won't educate my kids or pay for my hobbies in my old age.

But it will replace the £65 ring we bought together from the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter.

I have been married for 15 years and this will be a proper proposal, something I didn't do when we were 18.

I've emailed Peter Germano.....he has no interest in my meagre budget...although he was quite polite about it.

MDC have some things I like in the budget, they seem reputable.

Any other companies that are worth contacting for a round diamond in the 0.2-0.4 ct range?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Engagment Rings?

I don't know of any jeweler that could work within that budget, I'm sorry. You may wish to try Lord and Taylor for something in that budget. They often have discounts available on their own brand fine jewelry.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,089 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Engagment Rings?

Look at this web site in case it helps.

http://www.diamond-district-nyc.com/

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Engagment Rings?

Engagement Rings Direct is primarily an online merchant, but they do invite customers to meet with them, by appointment, at their store in Manhattan: .

www.engagementringsdirect.com/appointment

ERD does carry dainty diamonds & seems to enjoy a very good reputation on the dedicated-to-diamonds forums at PriceScope.com, a web site that also offers excellent tutorials for prospective diamond purchaers.

Have you considered a vintage/pre-owned ring? That could get you a bit more bang for your buck.

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Engagment Rings?

I have considered vintage, but its having the opportunity to see what you're buying tat can't happen with the surprise element.

The advantage with new is GIA certs.

I may up the budget a bit and see what I can come up with.

Here in the UK I can gat a palladium band set with a 0.2 ct ideal cut D Vss1 round diamond for £560. Now looking at diamonds alone MDC is 20% cheaper but the band choice is more limited.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engagment Rings?

www.bluenile.com may be another option.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Engagment Rings?

I second Blue Nile-my daughter's engagement ring was from there and is beautiful. She just got some nice diamond earrings as a gift after getting her masters and having our first grand daughter-check them out. From what my son in law said very easy to work with

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Engagment Rings?

I don't think our OP would be happy with Blue Nile because the photos on their web site do not depict the stone you will receive -- and unlike Engagement Rings Direct and MDC (who also post stock photos on their sites), there is no way to see the stone in person before you buy.

inksleeves, it's entirely possible to purchase vintage rings with GIA (or AGS) certs but it doesn't sound as if that idea appeals to you.. FWIW I would never pay the much steeper price for D-E color & color makes even less of a difference in a small round stone with a high caliber cut.. You could also consider dropping down in clarity, especially since not all imperfections have the same impact on light performance, how a stone "shows".

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Engagment Rings?

Having looked into it I went back to Peter Germano and upped the budget to $1200 dollars. What he can offer for this is a much better carat weight than the likes of MDC or engagement rings direct.

But before I jump in, I am checking the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter for a comparison.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Engagment Rings?

Girl! Do you really need a ring to show your lurve?!

Isn't all this a bit soooooo 19th century??

Get a a nice photo and invest the money for the future.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,413 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Engagment Rings?

Have you considered a sapphire or other precious stone besides a diamond?

theatlantic.com/magazine/…