We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

birthday meal in NYC

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
birthday meal in NYC

My partner and i will be NYC on 4th November for 5 days to celebrate my 30th birthday which is on the 5th November. Would like a nice restaurant for my birthday dinner, either Italian ,French or seafood. Not Michelin star as that would be out of price range. No more than 100 dollars for 3 courses each and a bottle of wine. Recommendations? Do we need to book if we want to eat at around 7.30?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: birthday meal in NYC

If you like French, Les Halles is a great spot. http://leshalles.net/menus-wines It gets busy, so reservations are important. They have two locations in Manhattan (Flatiron & Downtown).

411 Park Avenue South (at 29th Street)

15 John Street (off Broadway)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: birthday meal in NYC

I'm afraid that there are very few places in NYC where you can each have an appetizer, main course, and dessert, plus a bottle of wine, plus pay tax and tip, and keep it under $100 total.

The cheapest restaurant I can think of that still has a reasonable ambiance is Otto, Mario Batali's pizza and pasta place right near Washington Square Park. But even here you'll have to order carefully, because don't forget you'll need to allow for tax and tip...

http://ottopizzeria.com/

Yes, you'll need a reservation.

Good luck and Happy Birthday!

Edited: 25 September 2013, 20:27
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: birthday meal in NYC

I read it as a $100 EACH so $200 in total?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: birthday meal in NYC

If it's $100 EACH, many more options...Tanya, please clarify! :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: birthday meal in NYC

I assumed the OP meant $100 per person for the meal and a glass of wine. Tax and tip would be added. Didn't intend to mislead the OP.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: birthday meal in NYC

All together.... it the equivalent of about £70-£80 sterling..... How about 2 courses each and wine? We're not really dessert period tbh

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,407 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: birthday meal in NYC

I think the wine is what will bring the price right up. You could find a BYOB place and buy a bottle before you go. That would reduce the cost. Or maybe stick to one glass of wine each in the restaurant (though that's not very special ;-)).

Not sure whether any BYOB places would be special enough for a 30th birthday though. Maybe Ziggy or others would know and they might reply.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 22:41
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: birthday meal in NYC

How much is a bottle of wine then? Is it cheaper to drink beer?

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: birthday meal in NYC

Unfortunately, NYC is expensive. Still a 30th birthday is important, imo. You'll have a really nice dinner with two courses at Les Halles and a glass of wine for £70-£80 sterling which is $101.41 (today). I hope you have a great trip!

P.S. During the day, remember that you can eat great food inexpensively going to food trucks, getting a slice of pizza, or a jumbo hot dog. I've had an amazing lunch at Katz's Deli, but the sandwich was huge (and expensive). A few times, I've had half the sandwich for lunch and the other half for dinner. You can also save money by going to delis and buying a couple prepared dishes. I'm a fan of Citarella's Deli, which is across Manhattan. http://www.citarella.com/locations.asp

HTH -

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: birthday meal in NYC

A glass of wine will be $10 - $15/glass depending on the restaurant. IMO, the wine in NYC is just so-so, rather than very good like it is in other major U.S. cities. Doesn't matter. You might love the glass you're poured and that's what counts!