We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

Fairfield
2 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

Hello, I am looking to do something different for Thanksgiving. I live in NJ and am thinking of NYC. My husband and 2 children (7 & 12) will accompany me. I am not sure if the Parade is really my thing but I know the kids would like it. I am open to it or just finding an awesome hotel that we can watch it and then go out and have a fun afternoon(including dinner). I am looking for a really nice and clean hotel. Any recommendations on a great restaurant as well that offers a traditional Thanksgiving dinner that my kids can go too and feel comfortable as well. I am thinking of staying Wednesday through Saturday. Open to Shows, as well as activities for the kids. I don't feel the need to shop during Black Friday. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,444 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

Hi Carolyn and welcome to the forum.

It's unlikely that you will find a hotel where you can view the parade from your room, but watching at least some of the parade from street level is an awesome thing to do! You can also watch the giant balloon characters being blown up the night before.

There are lots of good and clean hotels in Manhattan. Budget is usually an important factor. What is your budget per night? Can the 2 kids share a bed?

Your profile lists "Fairfield" but no other info. Is that CT or elsewhere? Are you planning on driving in and in need of parking? Will you train in? Or are you flying from Fairfield, Wherever?

For ideas of things to do, read the Top Questions section for lots of great ideas. Of course, seeing the Christmas window displays is fun too. The city wastes no time in getting into full Christmas holiday mode! If you want to get into the Christmas mood, you might also want to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular (Rockettes)

There will be many good options for a family friendly Thanksgiving dinner. Think about your budget and the type of ambiance you want, formal or casual, etc. Opentable.com is a good resource for identifying which restaurants are open and for booking tables. Not all restaurants will be listing this far in advance or publishing their Thanksgiving menus. Your final decision may depend on where you are staying.

Broadway shows are also a great option. Here's a list of kid friendly shows: broadway.com/buzz/… Double check the minimum ages, and consider whether your youngest is able to enjoy a show without fussing or talking. A Matinee may be best.

Bottom line, it's a great idea! Go with it!! Your family may remember it forever.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,609 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

Fairfeild NJ is off of 46. It is a pretty decent sized municaplity

Edited: 26 September 2013, 04:41
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
14,261 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

You could try the Rock Center Cafe which is located rinkside at Rockefeller Center. The tree will be up but not lit & you could watch the skaters. Also, the food is pretty tasty but it's not so highbrow that your kids would be out of place.

Fairfield
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

Thank you for the advice. I live in Northern NJ, not far from NYC. The kids can definately sleep together. I would prefer a more upscale nice hotel(not crazy expensive) but very clean. I would prefer a nice dinner, not formal but not too informal, looking for something in between. I appreciate your suggestions.

5. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 06:35
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,449 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

I second the idea of having Thanksgiving dinner at the Rock Center Cafe, or at its neighbor the Sea Grill. They are both taking reservations already on OpenTable:

www.opentable.com/new-york-city-restaurants…

Most restaurants take reservations through the OpenTable website, but most restaurants only take reservations about a month in advance. At the end of October a lot of the restaurants that will be open on Thanksgiving Day will post their special menus and you'll be able to see the selections and prices.

Another restaurant to consider, if it will be open on Thanksgiving Day, is the Bryant Park Grill. This is another festive location - the Bryant Park ice skating rink and holiday market will be open by Thanksgiving.

Lots of fun stuff to do over Thanksgiving weekend...the holiday store windows, ice skating, holiday markets, and, if you're interested, a Broadway show, the Rockettes show, or the Nutcracker ballet. Your kids might also like a visit to the Natural History Museum of the Met.

Enjoy!

7. Re: Looking for a hotel and restaurant in NYC Thanksgiving '13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 06:19