We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

After an awakening thanks to many of you, we will be staying at the Roosevelt Hotel Dec 30 - Jan 3.

It will be my husband and my in laws on this trip, all of us 1st timers. We have tickets for NYE at a place called Zengo and my in-laws are going to see the Christmas spectacular. Are plans other than that are up in the air.

Top of the Rock, 9/11 and history museum, Central Park, Rockefeller center (I've never been ice skating and excited to be there for my first time) I'm open for other rinks though, if that isn't the best option. We would like to go to the Brooklyn Brewery, but they aren't doing tours during those dates. Any others as an option?

Our budgets pretty open, we don't want anything 5 star so anything that would appeal to us should be in our price range.

Is the Christmas market at Union Square worth checking out? Harlem also appeals to us, but we don't really have a set destination for going up there, nor for Brooklyn, but both areas would be cool to experience.

As far as weather, layers I heard will suffice? I'm from Seattle so I'm thinking a bit colder version of that.

I hope we can all move on from the previous thread and make this a great trip for me and my family. We appreciate any help. We're all very excited about seeing the magic of NYC during the holiday :)

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

For your adventures in Harlem or Brooklyn why not consider a walking tour? Our favorite is the Big Onion, but there are lots of good ones...... We took several different ones of Brooklyn (including walking the bridge) and in Harlem there are several. If you go to the Apollo, there is also a good tour of the building offered by one of the former performers.......

We posted photos and notes from our trip:

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a great trip!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

No need to over plan and no need for a minute by minute itinerary. Much depends on what you like as there are different New York vacations for different people. Some come for Museums. Some come for shopping. Some come for food. Some come for sights. But there are things that are traditional first time things that should be done: Staten Island Ferry [with SOL view], Tall Building View, Walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Make sure that you take time out to visit a great NY neighborhood such as Greenwich Village or Brooklyn's Park Slope.

Brooklyn Brewery is only open on Weekends, but nearby Radegast Hall is a great Beer Garden only a few blocks away in Williamsburg. Easy to get to via the L train to Bedford Ave, one stop into Brooklyn. A great area to visit on its own. While we are on the topic - here is what we brew here: Brooklyn Brewery [duh], Kelso/Heartland, Six Point Craft Ale, Blue Point [Long Island], Captain Lawrence [Westchester] and Ommegang [Upstate Cooperstown]. DRINK LOCAL.

As for clothing, wearing layers is what to do. Remember, if you need to purchase different clothing, Century 21 , Macy's and many other stores can acomodate you.

As for budgeting - once your hotel is squared away, you can do NYC on the cheap. Lots of good cheap food options ranging from Indian Buffets to Food from a Truck [we take that seriously here]. Many free events throughout the city. Many museums have fee days as well.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

loads of advice on your first thread tripadvisor.co.uk/…53070350

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

Yes, this is a duplicated thread from last night.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6873765…

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

I was advised to repost in the morning

Russell, KY
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

MalKor19

The person who recommended reposting meant to "bump" your original post.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

Sorry, I should have been clearer about that advise. I did mean post a follow up response to the existing thread. Oh well. No biggie.

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

Oh- oops. Guess I didn't know the difference. Thanks for the help!

9. Re: Advice for 1st trip to NYC!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:19