We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Cardiff, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Hi all,

We are visiting New york as part of our honeymoon. We would like to visit a sporting event while there. We are in NY Between June 26th-July1st. My research suggests there is only baseball on at this time. The games available are for the Yankees:

Fri 27 V Boston Red sox $90-100

Sat 28 V Boston Red sox $80-100

Sun 29th V Boston Red sox $70-100

Mon 30th V Tampa Bay $15-50

Is there a better day to watch a game on or is it more important to watch the 1st, 2nd or 3rd day of play?

Will there be a better atmosphere waching the Red Sox game as opposed to the Tampa Bay Game.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ieuan

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

No advantage of going to the 1st, 2nd, etc game.

The main Yankee rivalry is with the Redsox. However, Tampa always gives the Yankees problems. Just know that Yankee v Redsox games tend to drag on(at times close to 4 hrs!)

Me? I would go to a day game vs the Redsox. I am pretty sure that the Friday will be a 7pm-ish start. Sat & Sunday...could be 1pm-ish, 4pm-ish, 8pm(Sunday)..

I would catch an early game(1pm) so that if it is a "blowout" or if it does drag on...you still have time to do other things in the evening.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Our other baseball team is the Mets newyork.mets.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nym

Sports fans will have to advise about which games will be the most memorable/competitive.

Either team stadium is easy to get to by public transportation.

Also keep an eye on the schedules for the Barclay Center barclayscenter.com/events-tickets/event-cale… and Madison Square Garden http://www.thegarden.com/ as they may have other types of games that are not yet posted on their schedules

Edited: 27 September 2013, 15:52
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Ask 3 people, get 3 answers. Day games can be quite hot if you're sitting in the sun. The Red Sox games are always exciting. I'd go to a Red Sox night game unless all your evenings are taken. If you just want to see any baseball game, closer to the trip, check to see if the Brooklyn Cyclones are playing at home while you're here. Going to Coney Island on a Fri. night is fun. I don't think there's any need to buy tickets this far in advance whatever you decide.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

I'd rather go to the Red Sox, too, but looking at those ticket prices...for someone who doesn't "get" the rivalry I'd go see Tampa on the 30th and pocket the difference.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Good call as usual Whiz...

http://brooklyncyclones.com/

Also the Staten Island Yankees (another minor league team) play at a stadium that has Manhattan as the backdrop. http://www.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t586

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Good points all around! I really didn't take into account the pricing...

Come to think about it...if this is your honeymoon..and if it is your first time in NYC, I would go to the Monday Tampa game. There are so many things to do in NYC and if the Yankees/Baseball/Redsox/Tampa aren't your "thing", save the $$ and enjoy a summer wknd...

Edited: 27 September 2013, 16:28
Cardiff, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Thank you all for your input. Think we will watch a red sox game but not sure which one just because we want to see the full stadium and hopefully get caught up in the rivalry

Ohio
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

I'd go to an evening game. Sitting in the heat during the day can be brutal.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,734 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Just so you understand, the games against Boston are three separate games. This is not like cricket with three or five day test matches! The season lasts over 160 games and so it's common for teams from another city to play a series of games when they visit. Each counts separately in the "Standings" (league tables to you.)

Cardiff, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best base ball game to watch and which day?

Now I understand. Couldn't get my head round it. Thank you