We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

L R
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

I'm taking my husband to New York for our first ever trip to America in November to celebrate his 30th Birthday. I've had it booked for over a year and I am going to be telling him at a family gathering 2 weeks before we travel (his and my parents are in on my secret!). He has no idea whatsoever and thinks we are spending a quiet few days at my parents holiday cottage the weekend of his birthday. I know so many people take their loved ones on surprise trips to New York, but I am trying to think of really fun ways to tell him. I don't just want to wrap up a travel guide, and thought maybe a treasure hunt hiding clues or something, but I don't know where to start. Can anyone help me please? How have others announced their surprise trip? So excited as time gets nearer - he will be truly shocked that I have saved up and kept it quiet for so long. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you xx

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Best Seller
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

"Surprise! We are going to NYC!"

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

Play Sinatra's "New York New York" then present a wrapped tour guide. Read the lyrics in case you don't remember how appropriate it is :-)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,550 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

Or, if you can find a place that sells sheet music, buy the sheet music to NY, NY & wrap the guide book in it.

If your husband has a place he puts reading material, put it under the 1st book in the stack all wrapped. Just be sure you're around when he finds it.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

Can't you just wait until he finds out on the day? I took my boyfriend to Rome for a surprise for his 21st birthday, he thought we were flying to London from Manchester until we got to the gate in the airport where he seen 'Rome'! So you could just carry on with the cottage plan until the day when you go to the airport (unless he would rather have packed his own suitcase haha).

I have also booked to go to Barcelona in December to watch a Barcelona football match which he does not know about yet (I am giving it as a present on his birthday on Thursday!) I have put the match tickets in a small gift box and wrapped that up in a bigger box and then wrapped that up in an even bigger box and so on.. I think you get the picture the box is huge he will never suspect what is in it! I can't wait to see his face when he has to keep unwrapping all the layers haha! Hope this helps :)

L R
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

Great ideas thanks everyone! He's going to love it - I can't wait to see his face when he discovers the gift :)

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,422 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

Do you know anyone who has been that can give you something like an old Metrocard to wrap up?

Or maybe give him a box with some American dollars inside and see how it takes it do dawn on him where you have to go to spend it.

Or if the family is in on it, perhaps you can play Pictionary or charades or some other word game like that but rig it so all the answers are about NYC.

Edited: 30 September 2013, 20:41
london
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

Im also doing the same for my boyfriends 30th birthday in Feb. His birthday is the 9th and will be flying out to New York on the 20th and i don't plan to tell him till the day of his birthday. Im going to make up a gift box's and put our flight details in there along with American flag and some of the tickets for things i have already booked. I'm also going to try and buy a little statue of liberty and Eiffel tower of the internet to add affect.

hope yours works out. will be exciting !

london
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

and sorry i mean empire state building not Eiffel tower haha!

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

If he likes Chocolate, you could make a Golden Ticket like the Willie Wonka Version and wrap it up inside the bar for him. Have "Happy 30th, You are heading to New York for it". Or something to that effect.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to announce a surprise trip to NYC

We (my wife and i) are taking our parents to NYC between xmas and new year. We put a big apple in a box and gave it to them :-)