We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museum day

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
museum day

I have a total Saturday free and would like to see certain exhibits in several museums. I am considering beginning at the Museum of the City of New York, and working my way down to the MOMA, via the Cooper-Hewitt, Guggenheim, Neue, Met and possibly the Frick. I know that sounds ridiculous but I get such open days in NYC so seldom. Assuming that I get to many of these by day's end, is Smart Destinations my best money saving avenue for admissions or are there others I should look at? (I think that there is still voluntary admission at the Met, but I usually pay it.) Any other tips for a marathon museum day (besides not to try it)?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museum day

It does sound like a lot, but would be doable if you only wanted to see select things at each museum. If you want to see the Vermeer 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' exhibit at the Frick, book your timed tickets in advance.

www.frick.org

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museum day

Are any besides the Met open late on a Saturday to help you extend your avail time into the evening???.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: museum day

cooper-hewitt is closed, neue is special-interest. left out national academy. met & moma in one day is unrealistic. guggenheim is changing over from james turrell.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museum day

I plan to see mainly American Wing at the Met and Corbusier exhibit at MOMA. Thnx for info on Cooper being closed. I understand about the Pearl Earring. That's not my interest there as I caught it in Atlanta. Would Smart Destinations be the main site for me to study for admissions help?

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: museum day

You can spend a day at the American Ring and I dare you to leave the Le Courbousier floor without seeing the Magritte exhibit.

Pay as you go. That way the museums you actually see will get the admission fees you pay.

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: museum day

The Guggenheim is pay-what-you-wish on Saturdays, 5:45–7:45 pm (last ticket issued at 7:15 pm). But fyi from their web site:

"All ramps of the museum are currently closed and views of the rotunda are obscured while we prepare for the upcoming exhibition, Christopher Wool, opening on Friday, October 25. Exhibitions are open in several Annex Level galleries."

Edited: 01 October 2013, 15:27
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: museum day

Because you mentioned the Met's American Wing, I wonder if you would want to substitute The Whitney for the Guggenheim. Right now, the latter is largely European between-the-wars abstraction, while the Whitney has a very strong Edward Hopper show (Closing Oct 6) that will take at least an hour. The Whitney is strong in exactly the Stieglitz Group and Ashcan School artists that the Met and MOMA are weak on. For example, The Whitney's "American Legends" is better than MOMA's "American Modern". The National Academy is a very modest collection, but it's 99.9% American.

8. Re: museum day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:20