We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Orlando to NYC

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Orlando to NYC

Hi folks,

We're flying from Orlando to NYC mid November, since it'll be our first visit to America, I would like to know which airline is better on this route? We prefer direct flight. I was looking at JetBlue and Delta and it looks like they're on the same price range, about 90+usd at the moment. Which do you think is better? Or is there any other airline better? Price wise is the amount a good value? Also, would it be better to fly to LaGuardia over JFK? We're planning on staying around Lower Manhattan and are planning to commute from airport to there.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

I prefer Jetblue over Delta. But it's not a long flight......so either would do for me.

NJ
Level Contributor
655 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

There are meaningful differences in carriers. Book the cheaper or more convenient flight. LGA is a bit closer to MidTown so you will spend less on ground transportation once you get here.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
12,962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

Before you decide, check and see if there are any baggage fees for the flights you choose, that can eat up some savings.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

I prefer JetBlue, but prefer LaGuardia, I think I'd choose LaGuardia over JetBlue though.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

Also, check out Southwest for Orlando to LaGuardia or Newark. Their fares do not show up on sites like Expedia and Kayak. You can only book through their site - southwest.com. They have no baggage fees (2 bags per person) and are often the cheapest or the same as others that do have baggage fees.

texas
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

Agree to look at Southwest. With no baggage fees they can be cheaper.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

I would book Jet Blue without any hesitation. Delta is OK.

Im pretty sure the first bag is free on Jet Blue, even for domestic flights (I never check bags, except on the flight back from liquid shopping destinations - ie Paris, Mexico City, Belize)

suitcaseready.com

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
377 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

absolutely go for the cheapest flight to either airport. jfk has excellent ground transportation via the air train and subway or taxi fares are fixed at 52.50 with tolls and tip approaching 70. ground transportation from lga is awful - city bus to subway, slow - airport lives and dies with taxis, perhaps a bit cheaper than from jfk.

jet blue gives one free checked bag, delta charges for the first bag unless you have the delta american express credit card, then one free bag for you and everyone in your party up to nine people. each airline has its own terminal at each airport. we personally fly delta a lot as we have the card ( including a flight this month ).

if cost is paramount, jet blue flies very early morning and late night flights which tend to be cheaper than during normal business hours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

Delta has a $25 fee for each checked bag. Go with Jet Blue. They're also much better in general, imo. free personal tv/xm radio too.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying from Orlando to NYC

Thanks so much for all your replies. After taking into consideration all your suggestions, we ended up booking for the cheapest fare we could for our fixed travel date with baggage allowance. Since thats the cheapest fare we found so far since we started checking for flights we went for it. Thanks!