We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

I read the website but was slightly confused as to whether it's necessary to book a visitor pass online or not? I was planning to just make my way down there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

You *should* be able to get a pass just when you turn up. However, the line may be long and you aren't guaranteed of getting in at that time. If you are pressed for time, we usually recommend you book in advance online.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

Thanks. Right, ok so that would ensure a quicker entrance. Well that's worth it to me. The only downside appears to be that when you book it's for quite a limited time window. But public transport here seems pretty good so shouldn't be a problem getting them on time.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

They won't not allow you in if you get there a little late.....

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

Will they allow you if your are early?

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

We went in around 20m before our time.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

We were there yesterday and there is a queuing line for pre booked passes and non booked passes. Both queues seemed to be moving reasonably quickly. We booked a time slot and were slightly late due to train problems but we got in fine

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

The reason that they ask you to pre-book is so that the memorial can determine the amount of people that are expected to be there at a specific time.

I have not been turned away and I got there early.

Just PLEASE understand that it is a memorial and not a public park/lounge area/etc. There have been many threads where it has been noted that people have acted as if it was....(I personally saw people sunning on the grounds during one of my visits.)

Tks..

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

There is a current trip report about some people who didn't have tickets and went on two different days to see if they could get in and they couldn't. One day had bus loads of Boy Scouts and the other also had a long line. Well, I suppose they could have waited in the lines but they said the lines were just too long so they left.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

I was there twice last week without online passes and I wished I would have gotten them. I had my kids with me and the wait was too long (2+ hours). The cost is so small - I say go for it!

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 911 Memorial: do I need to prebook?

This is a helpful post! Thanks for asking and thanks for the replies.