We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

I gave up on trying to see it the last time we were in NYC... a FULL year ago.... Now making plans for September 2014 and still seeing ticket prices above $175..... is that for real??? I know about the lottery, but am not willing to invest that much time to save the money......

A. Is it worth that much money???

B. Is there any discount EVER available???

Thanks....

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

If you get the premium seats, yes they are $175 or over. However, if you want seats that are less pricey, just sit somewhere else. I'm not trying to be mean but that's my best answer.

Shows which regularly sell out almost never do discounts, including Mormon.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,101 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

Have you thought about seeing it somewhere near your home? Its traveling now and tickets may be cheaper then in NYC.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
13,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

What I would have done a year ago was to buy a ticket to the show at the box office. I tried for a Saturday evening show & couldn't find much. However, you need to both be flexible about when you are going & where you are going to sit. I got tickets for Book of Mormon in spring of this year for April but I had to go when they had tickets, Also, I go by myself so that gives me more options.

You need to be aware of how popular the show is and act accordingly. For example, last Friday I was planning a trip to NYC for a theater weekend & saw rave reviews for the new production of The Glass Menangerie. I decided to go but discovered that the discounts were not yet being offered for the dates I was in NYC. I decided to go ahead & book my seat at full price. Yesterday, the NY Times said that the sales for Glass Menagerie went through the roof over the weekend. I don't regret the extra expense for what promises to be an extraordinary production but I knew I had to act fast in order to ensure I got a decent seat.

As for the price of seats for Mormon, Economics 101 states that if you have a commodity that is in high demand, you can command a higher price & that's just what the producers are doing.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

Paid 2 x $170 for tickets to see BoM at the end of May earlier this year.

My bf and I loved the show, even if we were struggling with jet lag, and would absolutely say it was worth the price!!

However, we would have had no other way to see it and I'm used to paying $150 - $200 for big concerts and $100 - $120 for decent seats at big theatre shows that come here to Melbourne so the price didn't really seem *that* crazy to me.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

$175 for an "event" in NYC really isn't outlandish. Basketball game tickets can run that much much more. Same with having dinner at a posh restaurant. Some may feel that spending that type of $$ is worth it and some may otherwise.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

Clearly there is a demand for it hence the high prices.

I booked in June this year for February 2014 and couldn't get seats for the half the days I wanted. I also ended up paying just over $200 each but there were many seats in the $400+ section that were already booked out.

I guess you need to weigh up if you want to spend that much money. My theory is that I'm coming all the way from Australia, it's my first time on Broadway and in the event that it does make it to Australia, it won't be with this cast, so I'm happy to pay for the experience. I also love South Park and Team America. Given that you are in the US where its already travelling, spending this much may not be a priory for you. I can only generalise that if every show is pretty much a sell out and it can month after month sell out tickets of $400+ then it’s probably worth splurging on.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

Cyblume's first message is misleading. $175 (once you include service charges) is pretty much rock bottom for BOM tickets; premium seats are much more. It's a hot show (still!) in a relatively small theater (for a musical) -- 1102 seats, so discounts are out of the question.

If you want to see the show at a lower price, try the lottery ($32 -- if your name is drawn) or standing room ($27).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

And if you choose not to see the show...you are coming in Sept! There are so many things to do in NYC that you may not miss it at all.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

you could always try the ticket lottery:

www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/tickets.php

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Book of Mormon tickets? Still ridiculously priced?????

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments. I do understand the "supply and demand" explanation, I just thought it had been around long enough and since it had a traveling company now, that prices would surely drop.... guess not!