We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations

About 2 months left until our upcoming trip to N.Y!

Not going to plan where we will have every meal, but thinking of having 2 or maybe 3 restaurants picked out during our 6 night stay. We will be staying around the Times Square area where I understand there is mostly tourists and the food might not be the best. Not looking for fancy & pricey restaurants, but simple, good & affordable (YES, I do know affordable means different to different people!)

We all (family of 2 adults & 11 yr old) all love Greek an Thai Food so would like to try these types of cuisine in New York too!

I had a look at Groupon and there is a Greek Restaurant called Cavo featured there, any opinions good or bad on this restaurant?

Im also wondering about Buddakhan, is it a nice place suitable for children?

In New York terms is main courses priced between $30-40 considered cheap, midrange or expensive?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations

main courses in the $30s-40s are higher end. There are a lot of places where entrees are in the teens or $20s.

Of course, there are places with $250 tasting menus, but for the most part at a higher end restaurant the entrees won't go beyond $60 unless you're talking about something really special - dry aged steaks, truffles.

It is very easy to eat well here without spending top dollar. Lunch is a good way to try better restaurants for less. Also, ethnic food is usually well priced compared with "continental" food (ie French, Italian)

Not sure about Buddakan for an 11 year old - maybe earlier?

For good food near your hotel, head west to 9th Avenue. There are a lot of restaurants there. There's a new Thai place getting a lot of mentions - Larb Ubol on 9th Avenue. I used to like Wondee Siam but the last time I was there it was nothing special. But, it was at lunch. There's a good Indonesian place on 9th at 49th? Maybe 47th - Bali Nusa Indah.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 02 October 2013, 21:03
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I wouldn't take children to Buddakan except for at an early hour, say 5.30pm or 6pm when they open.

I don't know Cavo, but I do like Avra, Estiatorio Milos and Molyvo. You can use www.yelp.com and/or www.menupages.com to check out reviews of restaurants.

I quite like the Spice restaurants for Thai - a local chain with a few locations.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thank you Evening, great info! Will save in my "New York folder" and check the places you mentioned online.

Great for the pricing info too.

If not suitable for kids for dinner, we may try Buddakan for lunch so, if we are in the neighbourhood around that time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks KateOz, will check out those Greek restaurants you mentioned now!

minneapolis
Level Contributor
114 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations

My son was 11 (daughter was 17) when we went to Buddakan a few years ago. We went around 7:30 pm and my son loved it, (we all did - it's a fantastic restaurant) and our service was great. I was impressed that the restaurant treated us the same as other more speedy diners. We were seated in the main dining room, not tucked away in a corner or by the kitchen like some restaurants do when you come with children.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,114 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Daughter and son in law took the kids, they were 4 and 2 at that time and the kids enjoyed it. They loved the very glam ambiance, specially the washrooms (they are washroom critics LOL). Been meaning to take them again but never yet found the time.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,017 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Pure Thai Cookhouse is my favorite Thai in the city but I'm just not too sure about taking kids there. My kids are fairly adventurous but i wouldn't take them there, and certainly not to Larb Ubol, which is a terrific choice otherwise. Still give them a look and keep in mind that spicy means SPICY.

Wondee Siam mentioned by Evening may be more fitting. Wondee Siam II is more comfortable.

As for Greek Kate gave you some good ones. milos is very expensive but maybe worth it for the octopus

For something more casual look at Uncle Nicks.

You may find more options here... eatingwithziggy.com/2013/…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
145 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks guys!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,263 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations

not sure why it didnt occur to me when you mentioned Buddakan. We have taken my nephews when they were about your son's age to Nobu 57 for my birthday. They loved it (even the picky eater) and there were a few other big parties around us with some older kids. Downtown Nobu is much smaller and I wouldnt recommend that but the uptown one is more corporate midweek and probably a good place for the weekend. Not cheap, but in range and family style servings.

From what I've read, Larb Ubol is very similar to Zabb Elee, which is pretty approachable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Cavo is in Astoria, Queens. Did you know that? That area has a big Greek population; For some reason it's not listed on

menupages.com

www.opentable.com/cavo…