We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Christmas Day?

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on Christmas Day?

We will be in NYC over Christmas Day. We are considering theater tickets for that night but are looking for something to do during the day. Are stores open in Chinatown or the Lower East Side? I know the Tenement Museum is closed as are all of the other museums. Looking at store windows is not a high priority.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,888 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

mommypoppins.com/kids/whats-open-on-christma…

Hi dm! This is supposedly geared towards kids but I see lots of things I'd enjoy doing...

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

What about the Radio City Rockettes Christmas Show?

Edited: 03 October 2013, 05:23
DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

Thanks for the ideas. Radio City is another option but we are going to a show that night.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,463 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

The Jewish Museum will be open on Christmas Day - it has a special Chagall exhibition through February:

http://www.thejewishmuseum.org/

I'm not sure if any Broadway shows will have performances on Christmas Day, but the Rockettes will do several shows that day.

The ice skating rinks will be open and all the zoos as well. Weather allowing, it might be a good day for exploring Central Park.

The Empire State Building and Top of the Rock are also open on Christmas Day.

And Chinatown, of course.

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

The Jewish Museum is a good idea. And yes, there are Broadway shows on Christmas Day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

It is just another day in Chinatown - stores will be open. You could also do an excursion to Flushing Chinatown. The lower east side (Orchard Street and around there) is less Orthodox owned than it was, but some of those stores will be open too.

suitcaseready.com

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

Thanks. Getting out of the city might not be a bad idea.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

Big Onion will most likely be doing Lower East Side Tours. Plenty to do Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2012/12/dec-24-2012-…

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

While you will not have any difficult with transport on Christmas Day, I don't think you'll find as many things open on Christmas Day outside NYC as you will in the city.

Central Park is packed on Christmas Day and all the ice skating rinks are packed too.

I'm not sure where you'd go on the train if you wanted to do a day trip unless all you wanted was a scenic train ride. I typically recommend Cold Spring and Beacon but I don't think much will be open there on Christmas Day. Walkway across the Hudson is beautiful and that will certainly be open (Metro-North's Hudson Line to Poughkeepsie)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do on Christmas Day?

Madame Tussauds and Ripley's Believe it or Not can be done on Christmas day. You also might want to inquire about whether any of the current Discovery Times Square exhibitions (Body Worlds, Shipwreck, etc.) will be open on Christmas day. The last time we were in New York we saw the Titanic exhibit on Christmas day.