We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to find your way around?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to find your way around?

Hi,

What have people found or are thinking the best way to work your way around is?

I've been doing a lot of research using google maps would it be best to print these off or am I going to end up carting around a lot of paper? I do have a map in my guide book?

I know alot of people rave about apps, but I don't want to end up coming home to a massive phone bill!

Thanks

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to find your way around?

I've got a small guidebook which has a map in the back, i used that, which worked fine. It also had the subway map inclosed. I also bought a little compass on a keyring, this helps when you come out of a subway and can't figure out which direction is north,south, east west etc It's works brilliantly! we didnt once walk the wrong direction....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to find your way around?

I've been trying to work out daily directions from place to place using Google maps and then save it but I haven't gotten that far yet. I think it can be done then you just access it later on your phone or iPad etc.

Hopstop is a good app for getting subway directions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,241 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to find your way around?

I use Michael Middleditch's Map Book which has great detail (and large font) and, as a book rather than a fold out map, makes it easy to access whilst out and about.

Before I head off I use Google Maps and the website for the public transport to work out the trains and buses, and the routes, and the times and the walking bits....then I write these details in an exercise book for the day and head off.

http://new.mta.info/nyct

No internet whilst out and about (but it does rely on having internet at the accommodation).

Worked well...

But I have to check...I thought Apps are separate to the internet and their use won't result in "coming home to a massive phone bill!".

Yes people rave about Hopstop and Embark.....

Mentioned in this post
Michael
Michael
39 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,378 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to find your way around?

Most of Manhattan is on a numbered grid. That means that as long as you have the cross streets written down, and you remember that the avenue numbers get bigger as you go west and the street numbers get bigger as you go north, you don't really need a map at all.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to find your way around?

Pick up a map of the subway and as Brooklyn Bridge says the numbered grid system means you can't really go wrong, at least in midtown. Avenue go from East to West numerically and Street from South to North. Its a bit more complicated in the downtown areas if you are visiting there but you can pick up small maps at your hotel. It is good to plan your trip so you are not crossing the whole of the city every day and wasting time.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,975 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,638 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to find your way around?

Yes, it's the downtown areas that get confusing so some sort of map is needed down there. Uptown it's easy.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
143 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to find your way around?

Don't avenues go north/south and streets east/west?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to find your way around?

^^

No. The opposite.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PQCy1VM.jpg[/IMG]

Edited: 03 October 2013, 13:00
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to find your way around?

Meant to post this:

newyork101.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Ne…

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to find your way around?

Thanks thats all very helpfull!