We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - organizing activities by area

St. George, Utah
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - organizing activities by area

I appreciate all the help I've received in regards to my other questions and I have a pretty big one now.

We have the airline booked, the hotel (UES), and now its time for me to decided on our activities so that I can buy tickets in advance to avoid lines/wait times.

We'll be in Friday Nov 29 (evening arrival) and leave Thursday December 5 (afternoon departure). So, 6 nights. We want to pack as much as possible into our trip. We don't do down time. But I don't want to be unrealistic in travel times across the city either. I guess I'm just asking for help setting up days and realistically what can be fit into them :)

After researching, these things are on our MUST DO list:

Top of the Rock

Rockettes Christmas Spectacular (we have tickets to the Sat Nov 30 10pm show)

Wollman Ice Skating at Central Park at night (i'm a Serendipity goof ^_-)

Rockefeller Tree (will be lit Wed Dec 4th this year so we will have to see it that night)

9/11 Memorial

Staten Island Ferry OR NY Water Taxi

Central Park during the day (explore)

Times Square (just see it, don't care to explore)

And if we have more time, these things are on our MAYBE SEE list:

NYC Library

Serendipity (for a frozen hot chocolate)

Hop on / Hop off sightseeing

FAO Schwartz

One of the art museums

Brooklyn Bridge (walk it?)

Empire State Building

I'd also like to shop a bit too but not expensively so any recommendations for NOT upscale shopping places would be SUPERB!

Thanks ladies and gents! You are all wonderful!

Edited: 05 October 2013, 22:45
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - organizing activities by area

Google maps and hopstop will give you approximate timings. Plot a few of the places you want to visit on google maps and you will get the idea.

Have a stab at an itinerary and we can let you know if it's looks fine. Start with the pre-booked events and non-changeables then add things in the same general area if possible.

You should have plenty time to fit in some shopping. I like Macy's Herald Square and there are some other stores along 34th from Macy's . Fifth Avenue is another good place to shop, plenty of selection of both high st and high end.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - organizing activities by area

This is what was recommended to me by a relative that visits frequently, which I found really useful:

Make a list of everywhere you want to go (such as the one in your post) and allocate it a number. Get a map and write the numbers on it. You will then see that your days pretty much organise themselves, i.e. a Lower Manhattan Day, a Central Park and UES, midtown day and so on.

Once you've done that use the "get directions' function on Google maps to see how long it will take to get places so you can ensure you have enough time to get around. You can get directions whether you are walking, on public transport or in a taxi. Be sure to leave a few hours spare each day in case you are running late and also so you have time to stop and look/visit things as you discover them.

Also remember that there are lots of things you can do in NYC at night. Visit Times Square, the Empire State Building, Broadway, Ice Skating etc after dinner and save your time during the day for looking at other things.

You'll find you can fit in more than what you have listed in your original post. Have a look at the links on the right hand side for suggestions and also scroll back through the this forum for the last week or so and look at suggested itineraries and trip reports for more ideas.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - organizing activities by area

Great tip in the previous post.... I think if you did that with the amount of time you have you would be well served....

If you can get comfortable with other transportation I would not use Hop on Hop off for touring.... takes a while in traffic and can see more if you GET to the area you want and then walk.

We were there last October... posted LOTS of photos and notes of what we enjoyed...

www.virginia2nyc.blogspot.com

Have a great trip.

4. Re: Itinerary help - organizing activities by area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19