We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LaGuardia to Schenectady

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
LaGuardia to Schenectady

My daughter is flying into LaGuardia aiport and has to get to Schenectady ( Union College ). What is the best way for her to do this? She is 21 years old and has never been to New York and is travelling alone! I want a safe, quick, no stop way for her to get there... I am a worried Mom, so any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

It's really a long way away and will take quite a while... http://goo.gl/maps/zIjwJ

Have you looked into the possibility of a connecting flight into Albany?

Edited: 07 October 2013, 00:34
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

She should be flying into the Albany Airport.

There isn't any easy way to get from LaGuardia to Schenectady. There isn't any bus service and there isn't any rail service. There aren't any shuttles between LaGuardia and Schenectady either.

New York is a very big state and people make the common mistake that any airport in New York State will work for any location in New York State. Big mistake.

Amtrak trains connect New York Penn Station in Manhattan with Schenectady.

Your daughter can take a taxi from LaGuardia to New York Penn Station (one of the biggest and busiest train stations in the world) and get an Amtrak train from Penn to Schenectady.

While New York City is one of the safest places in the world, Schenectady itself isn't a particularly charming place. Before you get worried about dangers in the big city, I think I'd be more worried about getting off the train in Schenectady than in NYC.

The best thing to do would be to fly into Albany NY (ALB) and take a taxi from the airport to Union College.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

Agree with above. But Mom, she's 21! Why isn't she doing this research?

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

Thanks for the advice... She is helping but I have the TA account so posted on her behalf. She is sitting rigjt beside me as I type!!

Thanks again for the help.

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

Last I checked, there are no nonstop, direct flights from La Guardia to the Albany airport; it's only possible to fly directly to Albany from Newark Airport via United. Regardless of which airport you were to fly from, the fares are (almost always) astoundingly expensive, considering the relatively short distance.

I gather the plane ticket to/from LGA has already been purchased? If by some chance, that ticket is with US Airways, it should be possible to have them rewrite the ticket as one from Wherever to Albany (with a stop at LGA) at, I'm willing to bet, an appreciable savings, even with a change fee, over booking an additional, new ticket from LGA to Albany.

If this is not feasible, then taking an Amtrak train from Penn Station to Schenectady would better imo than riding Megabus from Manhattan to Schenectady.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 00:59
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

There is bus service between LaGuardia and Albany Airport:

http://www.albanyairport.com/buses.php

But, it only offers one trip per day, arriving Albany at 7:15pm.

FWIW, the train station in Schenectady is not in a terribly unsafe location. However, I think that she should avoid arriving alone after dark. There really isn't a convenient method to reach the Amtrak, or even Metro North to transfer to Amtrak, from LaGuardia, as noted above. If at all possible, fly to Albany.

New York
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

Clarification: Albany-based Premier Limo's shuttle is scheduled to leave LGA at 7:15 PM and arrive at the Albany Airport at 11:00 PM (cost $65).

https://premierelimo.com/index.php…

Union College is just about 10 miles from the Albany Airport. To get an idea of what taxi fare would be (it will be metered, not a flat fare), take a look at this:

http://www.albanyairport.com/FileUpload/files/!Taxi%20Information.pdf

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,694 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

She is 21 and obviously has a brain and the ability to speak English. Let her take a cab to NY Penn's station and the Amtrack to Schenectady. Yes it is a big terminal but their are signs and their are information booths and their are unifomed police officers. She will do fine! After all, she is going to be living on her own and I am sure the "kids" come into NYC now and then!

When checking Amtrack's schedule make sure you look at NEW YORK Penn Station, since there is another in New Jersey!

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

There are airlines that go to Albany, (US Air, Southwest, Delta, etc. www.albanyairport.com/arrivals_departures.php ) but they seem to connect through Newark, Dulles or Chicago. etc.

SO depending on where she is originating, I think they need to consider completely rethinking these flights.

10. Re: LaGuardia to Schenectady

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 05:05