We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway help Please.

allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Subway help Please.

Going to New York on Thursday on bus, want to know which subway do we take from PABT to get to Metropolitan Museum of Art. So far I'm thinking of taking the Blue A up to 81st St and then walk over to 5th Ave. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway help Please.

Take E train going uptown. Switch to 6 train going uptown. Get off at 86th Street.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
14,806 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway help Please.

The A train does not stop at 81st, you must take the C train.

If the weather is nice a stroll across the park can be nice.

Otherwise you can also transfer to a crosstown bus @ 81st & CPW to get across the park. (Bus stop on the corner by AMNH.) Subway to bus transfer with your Metrocard is free.

Or use the subway directions provided above and walk from Lexington ave over to 5th. (Main entrance of the Met is @ 82nd, so you can get off the 6 at either 77th or 86th.)

And note subway lines are NEVER referred to by color, only by number or letter.

Subway map here: http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Bus map here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Edited: 07 October 2013, 21:54
allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway help Please.

THANKS ! I don't know where I got the A from. Got a map of subway on line. Yes I can see the C route. Many thanks. Hope it is nice weather, we want to go thru the park.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway help Please.

Keep in mind that the park is only three blocks wide. They're long blocks, but it's still quicker to take the uptown C to 81st Street and walk across the park to the Met, rather than make the transfer at 51st Street from the E to the 6 to 86th Street. From there, it's a 7-block walk back to the museum.

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway help Please.

Take the E Train to Fifth Ave. Get on the train in the front car so when you get off you'll be at the Madison Ave exit of the Fifth Ave Station Come upstairs to 53rd Street and take a bus up Madison to 81st Street, get off and walk west one block to the Museum. You will have a free transfer from the train to the bus.

allentown
Level Contributor
346 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway help Please.

After looking at the map, I think we'll take the C train to 81st and walk across the park to the museum. Thanks everyone for the info.

7. Re: Subway help Please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18