We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

Hi folks,

Few quick question.

6 of us guys landing at JFK next week and we are wondering if we should just book a SUV to pick us up from JFK through DIAL 7 or CARMEL and pay $150 or just grab 2 yellow taxi's ???

also if we get a DIAL 7 or CARMEL SUV (1 car for all 6 of us) do we still need to tip them and if so how much?

Do you guys have like an equivalent to a maxi taxi (Australian SUV taxi that holds 6 or so people)

Which option is cheapest/easiest ?

Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

I would go for Dial 7, I used them and they were fantastic! Soon as we landed we phoned the number they had given us and picked us up straight away.

Two taxis would be roughly $65 each so no great price difference.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

did you tip the dial 7 driver?

obviously if we tip the 20% the expect that makes a huge difference

$150 becomes $180

where 2 taxi's cost $130 including tips....

is paying that extra $50 worth it?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,825 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

Yes, you need to tip the car service drivers. No, I don't think the price difference is worth it. I would just take 2 cabs as long as you're not arriving between 3:30 and 5PM.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

There are quick, easy and inexpensive public transportation options, the best route depends on the location of your hotel. I'd opt for public transport and save the rest of the money for beer. :)

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

We are staying at metro apartments 440w 41st

We arrive at midnight factor in 19hrs straight flying/jet lag/hungry/thirsty.

What would you suggest then?

Cheers

6. Re: Dial 7/Carmel or Taxi - JFK to Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:20