We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Adelaide
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Hi all,

Surprising the wife with a trip to NYC for her 40th in Nov/ Dec. Looking for a nice restaurant with a view of Central Park or NYC skyline for her birthday lunch or dinner, can anyone suggest a decent place? Happy to spend up to $70 per course plus drinks. She doesn't eat seafood though so seafood restaurants are out.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Asiate at Mandarin Oriental. Or River Cafe if they've reopened by then.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Views of Central Park are far nicer by day, and the days will be short when you're here, so if you want a Central Park view consider lunch.

Per Se is a Michelin 3-star restaurant that has a lovely view of Central Park and the Columbus Circle fountain. It serves lunch only on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. You need to call and make a reservation one calendar month to the date.

Also have a look at Asiate and Robert; both are also in Columbus Circle.

Skyline view restaurants are not really a NYC thing...your best bet, if it's reopened by then, is the River Cafe in Brooklyn.

There is a revolving restaurant in Times Square called the View. It is strictly for tourists and I wouldn't advise eating a meal there, but maybe for a drink?

Happy eating! :)

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Loved the view from Robert.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

I wrote most of this before I re-read your post and noticed your budget...I'd say that will be hard to have the really spectacular view with your budget, so I will (sort of) ignore that and list my ideas in case you do decide to up the budget...

Robert (lunch is better than dinner time for the VIEW..and it is the best view IMO)

Metropolitan Museum - Member's Dining Room or the Petrie Court Cafe (no bookings at the latter but if you get there early the line isn't that long). (Also the Roof but I am not sure it's open when you're there).

The lovely cafe at the top of Bergdorf Goodman's...lunch or the wonderful afternoon tea (with champagne ofcourse).

I agree about Asiate, or (another) glass of champagne in the lounge of the Mandarin Oriental which is next to Asiate up on the 35th (?) floor.

Per Se????? Maybe the bar area is possible with your budget or they have a fixed prix lunch menu (we went there for dinner for my 50th and it was sublime).

At night, if you like jazz, Dizzy's Coco-cola is a great venue with a fab view.

And yes - fingers crossed the River Cafe will be open.

Have a wonderful holiday...being in NYC for a Big Birthday is THE BEST.....

Edited: 09 October 2013, 23:14
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,328 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

I read his budget as $70 per course + drinks to mean $210 per person + drinks. In that case lunch at Per Se would be doable. Travelover, can you please clarify?

One additional note about Per Se...service is included in their set price, so that saves you significant extra $$!

Edited: 09 October 2013, 23:17
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Oh yes, if it is that much Frangipani then all of the suggestions I made will work.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

+1 for River Cafe if it is open. As I recall, lunch for two when we were there (Dec 2011) was about $100 plus drinks and tip. FYI, this was the view from our table:

https:/…381234_2589641054524_1958518508_n.jpg

If you have dinner there you will need a jacket and tie.

-JimG

Adelaide
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Frangipani7 - yes that's right $210 per person is about right, give or take. I've heard of Per Se, big Anthony Bourdain fan and its been mentioned in his books quite a bit, might look into it :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Sorry Travelover, I'll read more carefully next time....looking forward to hearing where you go.

Here's the post about our experience at Per Se for a BIG B'DAY....

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6034…

Edited: 09 October 2013, 23:46
Adelaide
Level Contributor
349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch/ Dinner with a view of Central Park or NY skyline

Had a look at the menu at Per Se and it looks incredible but a little too much seafood on it, normally if there's a seafood element to the meal my wife will hand it over to me or we'll ask the restaurant if they have an alternative as she doesn't eat seafood, but in this case it looks as though a good third of the dishes have seafood so I don't think they'd be able to compromise on that many dishes :(