We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Topic
family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

Hi all, we are planning to go to New York with the kids (aged 6 and 10 at the time we will be going) in October 2014.....any recommendation for a nice hotel maybe in the times square area? I stayed in hells kitchen last time I went and it was lovely as loved being away from the touristic bit but i think my kids would love to be right in the middle of it as that will be their first time there....any good tips more than welcome !

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,899 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

It will be easier for people to make recommendations if you include your exact travel dates and budget in US$.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,985 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

My kids were 9 &11 the first time we took them to NYC. We took the advice of folks here and stayed outside if Times Square and I am glad we did.

my then 9yo found Times Square overwhelming---So much so that for weeks afterwards she declared that she hated NY. Yet she talked fondly and excitedly about lots that we did and about 6 months later, she asked to return.

To be honest it really surprised me. We live in a small town that borders on Boston and are in and out of the city all the time. We had also vacationed in DC and been to Hollywood. The kids were familiar with crowded subways and fine with that. They also enjoyed the theatre but not getting to and from it.

I often wondered if we had stayed in Times Square if that vacation would have been a disaster with my daughter reluctant to leave the hotel if every time we left we encountered the rush of humanity.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

we are thinking of going oct 14th for 5 nights but dates are flexible of one or 2 days, depends on when I can get cheaper flights.....was hoping to get something for 250 dollars a night......I know October is more expensive....thanks for advise so far about the crowds, good point as they can be overwhelming for kids :o)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

$250/night in Oct. for 4 people is going to be next to impossible in Manhattan. Popular family hotels in Times Square are the Marriott Marquis, the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree Guest Suites. Budget hotels like

radiocityapartments.com

and Hotel at Times Square part of

applecorehotels.com

should be less expensive and within walking distance.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

my mistake I meant British pounds .....:o) will have a look at links anyway thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

I am going to New York around the same time and we picked a B&B in stay in try booking,com web site we found it really cheap

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

thanks a lot will have a look

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

beware of booking B and B's - some are illegal apartment rentals

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,970 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

Doubletree Guest Suites is probably the best family hotel in Times Square. It's all 1 bedroom suites.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family holiday to NY October 2014, whats best place to stay?

I'll also warn you to be wary of "alternative accommodations", even when offered on legit sites, such as Booking.com. Quite a few of them are illegal.

Since your budget was in pounds, that translates to ~$407, or ~$355 base price before taxes. Can the kids share a bed? Or will they each need their own bed?