We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying near Times Square

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Topic
Staying near Times Square

On my recent trip to NYC, we chose a hotel quite near Times Square (the Muse Hotel on 46th). It was not ON Times Square, but not very far. JennyR261 responded to my trip report by suggesting I post about this topic, so here goes, I hope this helps those of you trying to decide where to stay.

I quite liked it, for the following reasons:

- When we arrived late in the evening on the first day, we were able to easily visit a spot that is most spectacular at night within travelling very far. My 13 year old son found it exciting and was charmed by certain entertainers in the square. It was like a circus in his eyes and he loved it. If you want to sit and just take it all in, there is a grandstand as well as tables and chairs to just sit and people/video ad watch.

- Walking from place to place from our hotel, we ended up crossing through it more than once during our stay, and repeat visits seemed to bring something new each time, noticing different things - it is quite a visual feast and it is a lot to take in, particularly with the crush of people. The crowds vary, and it was nice to experience it with fewer people at varying times.

- I was surprised by the quality of the stores located directly on TS. I thought there would be only cheesy souvenir stores, but there were stores I actually wanted to go into (like Swatch, MAC, Aeropostale) and I found that the prices were not exaggerated for the things that I was looking for.

-I was warned that the quality of dining is not appreciable in TS, but the more interesting Hell's Kitchen is a couple of avenues over.

-Theatres are close by, as are other things we wanted to see, such as Art of the Brick exhibit.TS is in proximity to so many things - Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue shopping, etc. I like walking and it was possible to walk to quite a few attractions.

My husband hates crowds, however, he even admitted that it was an exciting place to pass through. Yes, it is is touristy, but there is always something to look at. I hope this helps!

Montreal
Level Contributor
836 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying near Times Square

BTW, I cannot speak to the noise level of staying near TS because I did not experience any. I was on the 16th floor of our hotel and did not hear anything. May be different for hotels directly on TS, and I will let others with experience speak to that.

If I was facing into TS, I would be concerned about the bright lights and how good the black-out blinds are for sleeping.

(I stayed in the Skydome hotel in Toronto once, facing the field, and the big lights were left on well into the night - there was an issue with blocking out the light in our room).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying near Times Square

Thanks so much.....that's really interesting...I have saved the post for when others ask this question in the future.

From your Trip Report, thought you had had a positive experience of this, so I was interested in knowing some of the specifics.

Thanks again.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying near Times Square

great advise thanks a lot....

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,617 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying near Times Square

Great to know that you can walk to lots of attractions. I'm a keen walker (I think you see so much more this way) and will be staying at the Yotel close to Times Square for my first visit next year, can't wait!

Edited: 10 October 2013, 14:17
5. Re: Staying near Times Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 06:20