We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Best" show seats?

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
"Best" show seats?

Hi guys

I have decided on Wicked for the show I want to see while we are in NY (May 2014). It is at the Gershwin theater and I have had a look at the seat plan, but have no idea where is best to sit. My dates should be available within the next couple of weeks so I want to get tickets booked as soon as I can.

So can anyone recommend which section would be best to buy for? Obviously it comes down in part to personal preference but I have no idea what the difference is between Mezzanine and Orchestra, for example, so any tips at all would be appreciated!

TIA, Steph

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Best" show seats?

Mezzanine is what you would think of when you think of balconey ie, it's the second floor seating. Howeer, the front of the mezz overhangs the orchestra quite substantially so front mezz may actually be closer to the stage than rear orchestra. In addition, for big splashy shows (like a Wicked) many people (myself included) prefer front mezz to almost any orchestra seat because you get a much better view of the stage. That is why front mezz generally costs the same as most of the orchestra ("premium" orchestra seats excepted -- these are the ones very near the front and in the center)

But everyone is different and many prefer any orchestra seat to front mezz. There is no "right" answser

Preston, Lancs
Level Contributor
167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Best" show seats?

Ah, right ok, that gives me a bit of a better idea! Thank you for that. I will probably look at front mezzanine then because if it's anything like theatres here, being lower but further forward is not often an advantage!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Best" show seats?

Front mezzanine was great for me. Also have a look for Gershwin Theater reviews here on TA, there are photos from visitors from all over the theater from different seats.

4. Re: "Best" show seats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 06:20