We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norman Rockwell

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Norman Rockwell

Hi,

Do any of the museums/galleries have Norman Rockwell paintings? I've tried to look online but I've not managed to find anything so thought I'd ask the NYC insiders!

Thanks

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Norman Rockwell

You might find prints in some NY art shops. Rockwell was never in favor with NY artists and now that he is long gone, there are few that will try to keep his work alive. Maybe he will come back in a reverse snobbery movement.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Norman Rockwell

That's such a shame. We have the same issues in Scotland with Jack Vettriano. People should be free to enjoy what they like and not be dictated to but alas...

Thanks for the info, though.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Norman Rockwell

Visit the lovely town of Stockbridge, Mass. and the Norman Rockwell Museum. It's a few hours' drive from NYC, there are lovely country inns, and the Berkshires are beautiful.

www.nrm.org/?gclid=CLfogIKFjboCFc6e4Aod2FMAuA

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Norman Rockwell

How long are you in town for? The Norman Rockwell museum is about a 3 hour car ride away in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.

http://www.nrm.org/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Norman Rockwell

I would love to but already taking a day out of our 8night trip to visit Philadelphia. I'm really sad that I didn't know about the museum when I was working in Cape Cod a few years ago (although my method of transportation was bicycle so don't think my calves would have been up to that cycle!!)

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Norman Rockwell

Sorry, I am not a fan of Rockwell. An art professor saw a series of my photos and saidI they were anti-Rockwell and I took that as a compliment. But if I knew where you get quality prints, I would certainly pass it along. Each to their own.

7. Re: Norman Rockwell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 22:20
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,126 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Norman Rockwell

I'm not a big fan of Rockwell, but I can tell you that a few museums are cooking up a touring Rockwell show in the next few years. It would go to several museums around the country, so you might keep an eye open for it. The NYC area museum is likely to be the Newark Museum.

I can tell you that Rosie the Riveter is at the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Arkansas, but I think it might be their only one. I think the Met has a couple:

http://www.metmuseum.org/collections/search-the-collections?&what=Oil+paintings&deptids=21&who=Norman+Rockwell&pg=1

but you need to make sure they are on display when you come.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Norman Rockwell

It's too bad that you don't have the time if you're a Norman Rockwell fan. The Norman Rockwell museum mentioned above is fantastic. For future reference and for those others who may be interested in the area, Tanglewood is nearby where the Boston Symphony Orchestra plays during the summer months. Although I've never been to Tanglewood, my parents go all the time.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Norman Rockwell

Insider here...There is a pretty amazing large Rockwell painting over the bar at the Society of Illustrators. You can see the painting if you go to the sketch sessions Tues and Thurs Eve or if you opt to eat lunch (great deal) when you visit the museum. Have no idea what will be on display when you are here but here are links to check closer to the time.

…typepad.com/explorenyc/2013/09/society-of-i…