We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

Hi we are staying at Le Parker Meridien on 56th street between 6th and 7th at the end of October. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants nearby? We like most types of food except seafood and we're not looking for fine dining. Probably most interested in Italian or American food. I would also be interested in breakfast recommendations. I know about Normas but that will be a one-off treat for us if we decide to go for it! Thanks in advance for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

For casual eating, if you wanted to walk about 10 mins west you would come to some cheap eating places on 9th Ave. It's a big restaurant neighbourhood with all sorts of cuisines.

Ziggy's food blog will explain: eatingwithziggy.com/category/…

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

Do yourself a favor and save your splurge meal for someplace better than Normas. Over-rated barely begins to describe that place.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

Inside your hotel, you have Burger Joint, rated one of the best burgers in NYC, its behind the red curtain!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,685 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

For a breakfast splurge (or any meal) go to Sarabeth's on Central Park South.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

I'd recommend Norma's. It's worth trying at least once, especially since you're staying at Le Parker Meridien already. While I found service last time I went somewhat curt, I still enjoyed the food and dining experience overall. They have a very interesting breakfast menu. They offer freshly squeezed orange juice with unlimited refills for $9. They also hand out free samples of their smoothies. Be warned that some of their breakfast items could pass more for a desert, so if this is not your thing, than stick to eggs or some of their more traditional breakfast offerings.

Although I haven't been here myself, a few people have recommended I check out Fluffy's Cafe & Bakery during my December visit to Le Parker Meridien. Their prices are very reasonable and they have lots of different choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

Probably not posh enough for you if you can afford to stay at Le Parker Meridien, but we loved Angelo's Italian restaurant which was next door to our hotel on W57th St, just opposite the rear of your hotel. We thought the food and the ambience were typically Italian and it was a lovely friendly place where we felt comfortable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

For breakfast

Fluffy's Cafe

menupages.com/restaurants/…

and Park Cafe

www.menupages.com/restaurants/park-cafe/

will be the closest good basic diners. If you're heading south towards Times Squar, the Evergreen Diner is also good but I don't think I'd walk the 10 blocks just to go there.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/evergreen-2/

The Brooklyn Diner on 57th st. is very overpriced and imo a tourist trap as is Ellen's Stardust Diner.

For something a bit nicer, Le Pain Quotidien is a mini chain of Belgian cafes and there's one on 7th ave. & 57-58 st. that has imo very good pastry and coffee as well as healthy cereal, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt.

menupages.com/restaurants/…menu

If you want to treat yourselves to a fancy breakfast, rather than Norma's, I'd go to the Boat House in Central Park on a weekend. They start serving at 9:30. If you get there right then, the wait is usually not long. The setting is great, the service is good and the food is nice but not memorable (although I had a great tuna tartar as a starter last time I was there that was terrific!). You're paying for the setting.

For casual dinners near the hotel, there's a food hall in the basement of the Plaza Hotel that has lots of different options from pizza to sushi and everything in between.

La Bonne Soup is a nearby French bistro with good burgers, salads, crepes etc.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/la-bonne-soupe/

The Burger Joint inside your hotel is known for good burgers but it's more eating than dining. ;)

www.menupages.com/restaurants/burger-joint/

Don Antonio is a bit of a walk (about 15 mins.) but very good pizza.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/don-antonio/

map

http://goo.gl/maps/B6BRY

There are quite a few Irish pubs near your hotel that are considered to have good food. Here's a list with the best at the top.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,920 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

PS if you want to go for a special dinner and eat early, the Capital Grille in the Time Life building is not far. They do a $39 3 course dinner including 2 options for steak, lamb chops or salmon. It's not cheap but it's very good value and a nice restaurant. You need a reservation and I think you must be seated by 6:30 for that deal. Double check.

The other place I like in the area is Robert restaurant at the top of the Museum of Art & Design. I actually prefer lunch to dinner because the views of Central Park are great and you won't see much of it at night. They also have good prix fixe lunch and brunch deals.

menupages.com/restaurants/robert-restaurant/

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

That's for all of you replies, particularly all of the suggestions and I links from nywhiz. I think Fluffys looks the sort of place we were hoping for for breakfast and Robert looks great. I expect my 15 yo son will be eating at The Burger Joint in the hotel every night for his night time snack after his regular evening meal!! We also have our 17yo daughter with us who is pretty fussy in terms of the sort of food you woukd get in fine dining places but loves pizza, noodles, Indian etc. thought we might try Korean Barbeque for her - any suggestions? I also thought somewhere like Serendipity might appeal to her with the frozen hot chocolate I have heard about but isnt that just chocolate ice cream!

Anyway thanks all once again.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 07:27
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants near Le Parker Meridien

epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Frrrozen-H…

There's no ice cream in it at all. It tastes like a melted fudgesicle (something out of my American childhood), and it's huge, comes in a big goblet, the 2 of us could barely finish.