We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto - JFK - Sydney

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto - JFK - Sydney

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if I'm panicking for no reason or if I should be worried. My situation is as followed:

I will be flying from Toronto to NY on American Airlines. My flight leaves Toronto @ 11:40am and arrives at JFK @1:10pm. I then have a Delta Airlines flight from JFK to Sydney (via LA) which leaves at 3:30pm. I have called AA and asked if they can send my bags to the Delta plane which they said they can. My question is, will I have to come out of the airport and go through customs again since it's an international flight on a separate airline? If so how long will this take? Also is AA usually on time or are they known for flight delays?

N.B. This issue was caused by a flight change on Delta's side. I would never intentionally leave such a small gap between flights. Unfortunately I've booked with Cheapoair and they ridiculous T's&C's.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

Firstly, I would call AA and see if they are happy to put you on an earlier flight. Even for a change fee, I think it's worth it.

I believe Toronto has pre-clearance for US customs and immigration. Hopefully someone else can confirm that. That will speed things up at JFK.

AA might have said they can send your bags directly to the Delta plane, but I somehow doubt it. AA and Delta are in separate terminals. How do they transfer between terminals and between airlines? I wouldn't trust that and would only feel comfortable if I collected the bags myself and re-checked them with Delta.

Study the JFK map and work out exactly where you need to go for the Airtrain to get between terminals. This is a tight connection, as you know.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

Yes.....US Customs & Immigration at Toronto......the earlier flight is at 6:20 AM......with AA....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

Thanks for that. I'm relieved to know there's a US customs desk in Toronto.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

You'll be arriving at JFK as a domestic passenger. No Customs clearance at all. Will you have a through ticket? Delta will be treating you as an international departing passenger and even though there's no Customs clearance the airline departure procedure will be somewhat longer than for a domestic flight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

So Canada is treated as domestic?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

So Canada is treated as domestic?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,921 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

No, not really. It is just that you go through pre-clearance at Toronto as mentioned above so you do not arrive 'international'.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,817 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

You WILL have to change terminals and go through security, and I would prepare for them to tell you that they aren't willing to transfer bags when you get to the airport. Be prepared to collect them yourself, and familiarize yourself with the AirTrain in advance: that's how you'll get between terminals.

9. Re: Toronto - JFK - Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 06:18