We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

I'm absolutely fascinated by an idea of doing a NY food tour - never been to NY before. Staying in Manhattan. Which is the best to take and how much would it cost for 2 people?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

This is an exceptionally general questions as there are so many different tours, with various prices and various foods included, that it would be impossible for us to chose one for you.

You should Google food tours in NYC and narrow down the ones you are interested in and that are within your budget. You can then have a look at their reviews on here and other websites as well as starting a new post with your final selections so that people can give you specific advice.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

Ok, will try that - thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

foodsofny.com

for Greenwich Village has been very popular on the forum.

noshwalks.com

is also good and

freetoursbyfoot.com

also does some food tours. Then there are pizza tours, one in Manhattan

scottspizzatour.com

and one in Brooklyn

asliceofbrooklyn.com

You can see reviews of each of them here on TA and also on

yelp.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,612 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

Free Tours By Foot are free, you just pay for any food you buy and also tip the guide at the end. I've read that some other food tours buy food as they go then eat it all at the end but everything can be cold by then.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

One thing I would look for if its important to you is a participant limit. You may be surprised when you show up to see 30-50 people and a leader shouting things at the top of his lungs like "Who has a sweet tooth". Who doesnt.

Whiz's list is a good start. I would look at something in the West or East Village

Ok, I hope I wont regret this and I certainly dont want to take business away from the people above. But if anyone is interesting in a self walking tour of Hells Kitchen send me a PM. And if I'm available I would be glad to show you around. But I would look at the tours above first

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

Ziggy i am going to hold you to that offer for when i return to NYC.....in about a years time. *sigh*

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,551 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

You got it ZuziC!

But hurry please before the tour gets more expensive

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

The saving has begun Ziggy!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

If you want history with your food tour... the Big Onion does a great one with foods of the Lower East Side.... fills in lots of details about the area and includes excellent foods along the way..... about $15 per person.... We really enjoyed it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
15 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of a food tour - and which is the best to take?

My husband and I did a food tour with 'Famous Fat Dave" and honestly, it was the highlight of our 6 week trip to the US last year. The food we had was to die for. There were 4 of us and he drove us around in his old checkered cab to areas of Brooklyn. Check out his tripadvisor reviews. It is expensive, about $175 - $200 US for each person, but you are getting a private tour, all the food you can eat with a great guide on all things New york.