We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway shows

Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway shows

We hope to see a show on Broadway on either Friday 25th October or Saturday 26th - evening not matinee.

We like the look of After Midnight, Big Fish and Rock of Ages. Had anyone seen any of these shows and be able to recommend? Also is there a possibility that we would be able to get discount tickets on the day through TKTS for any of these shows?

Many thanks

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway shows

Hi if you look on broadwaybox. com all the shows you mentioned have got discounts. Ive been told you just take a copy of the code to the theatre and get your tickets. Not seen any of them though I've got a code for jersey Boys for when we arrive on the 28th.

Mandy

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway shows

I believe After Midnight is still in previews and has not been reviewed but it is based on a the City Center production of Cotton Club on Parade done last year and the year before which was SPECTACULARLY good

Read reviews of Big Fish here didhelikeit.com/shows/big-fish-reviews.html

and rock of ages here didhelikeit.com/shows/rock-of-ages-broadway-…

Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway shows

Hi Mandy,

thanks for the information. I will look for the discount codes. We saw Jersey Boys in London and absolutely loved it, hope you do too.

Hi LivesInNewJersey,

Thank you for the links to the reviews. Looking at them I think we will definitely go for After Midnight. I didn't realise that it hasn't started yet. Do you think it will be safe to wait until the same day for tickets or should I buy them online now? We don't arrive in New York until 24 October.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway shows

I would by them now and having seen the show on which it's based I'd try to get front mezzanine so you can take in all the dancing. this is a very eagerly anticipated show. Now, there's no telling how it will compare to the original but here's a review of of Cotton Club On Parade nytimes.com/2011/…

My wife and I wanted to see it again in previews to take advantage of the discounts but we're just booked up through November so we'll have to wait

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway shows

Oh, I forgot to add, another great show, is Natasha, Pierre and the Comet of 1812. It's off broadway and OUTSTANDING. It recently moved venues into the theater district but we saw it when it was playing in the meatpacking district -- here's a review of that …nytimes.com/2013/…

Which would I pick? Both

Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway shows

Wow, that sounds different!! If we were staying longer I would give it a try but we are only in New York for four days so might play safe and try to get tickets for After Midnight. Thanks for all the information. I am going to wait until we arrive to get tickets, if we can't get them then will go to something else, it's just the Broadway experience we are looking for more than anything. We have loved every musical we have seen in London and Southampton.

Dingwall, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadway shows

I can recommend Rock of Ages. If you like the type of music I'm sure you will love the show. It is very well put together, and very, very funny too. It is much better than the film!

Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadway shows

Thanks for the recommendation Robert. Our kids loved that show, I had forgotten they said we should see it. Any more suggestions very welcome, if we decide to go the TKTS booth route it would be good to have a long list.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broadway shows

Here is the Trip Advisor page on discounts for Broadway shows tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c1146/New-York…

For information on what shows to see check out the Broadway World website which has a what to see help page.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,802 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broadway shows

I do not recommend using the TKTS booth for any Fri or Sat. night for a musical. Imo, a total waste of time. Buy tickets either when you arrive at thebox office using a discount code from broadwaybox, or buy online or by phone on advance.