We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing question for final day

Cornwall
2 posts
Save Topic
Timing question for final day

Hi everyone! I've been reading this forum for awhile now as I plan my very first trip to New York in December. I'm going with my boyfriend and you've provided us with some great ideas on what to see/do so firstly thank you very much.

I do have a question myself though which I hope someone may be able to help with...

On Friday December 6th our flight leaves JFK at 7.30 in the evening. Were staying at Yotel Hotel in the city and I was just wondering how long it would roughly take to get to JFK? We were planning on spending 2-3 hours at The Metropolitan Museum of Art and doing the Roosevelt Aerial tramway earlier that day. But I'm now thinking that with traffic, check in and time spent going through security etc both of those might not be possible. Also we were planning on taking a taxi back to JFK - don't quite fancy taking the subway/AirTrain with no doubt extra luggage (shopping!).

Thank you in advance for any help!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing question for final day

First of all you need to go to your airlines webpage and determine how much before your scheduled departure they recommend you get to the airport. It is usually in the 2-3 hour range.

It will probably take about 1 hour to get to the airport from Manhatan. You have time to go to the Met and ride the tramway if you get an early start.

uk
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing question for final day

check in on line using your phone or ipad, thats means you only have to turn up 60 mins b4 the flight leaves and you can just use the bag drop lane (quicker!)

Defo take a cab, easier, but be mindful that in rush hour traffic (4-7) it will take longer, so add 30 mins more to be sure!

I have taken this flight (BA VA OR Delta) many times.

Heres what I do:

in the morning I check in on line and confirm my seats. Then go about my/our business for the day, I go the airport for 5pm drop my bags and then go one of the great steakhouses, have a nice relaxing meal and wine!

bumble to the departing gate when Im ready, board the plane, watch a movie, sleep - I dont like plane food and being full and relaxed makes for a good sleep, which you need on a over night flight!

I wish you well

by the way Im going to nyc the day you come home, so Ill be doing the same for my return!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,799 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing question for final day

Good advice from Melanie. I would do the tram ride first. When you get back to Manhattan, head to the museum. Allow PLENTY of time for travelling from your hotel to the tram and from the museum back to the hotel. You,re traveling crosstown in both cases which is always bad and I think that Fri. is usually a gridlock alert day.. Check out of the hotel in the morning before you go out for the day so that,s done and you're packed. I would order a car service like

Allstatelimo.com for the trip to JFK.

But if truth be ttold, I'd rethink your itin. I think doing things that are nearer your hotel or at least closer to subway connnections eom your hotel would be a better plan.

4. Re: Timing question for final day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 22:34
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,570 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing question for final day

I too would not risk only 1 hour. Again--what does your airline say. ( which airline are you using) Realize, no one is going to let you cut the security line because you arrived with a very tight schedule. Others left enough time to move forward in line, NOT backwards! AND the airline will care less why you missed the flight. You will be paying for a very expensive new, one way ticket.

6. Re: Timing question for final day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:18