We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

I created this list before I went to NYC for the first time, and have passed it on to a few people. Thought I'd share on here for anyone who is getting excited about an upcoming NYC trip! We went over NYE and Xmas time.

Enjoy. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Ps. I'm from Sydney, Aus - Clearly not a NYC local so excuse the errors in terminology and the vagueness- but the list worked for me :)

New York To Do List

-Circle Line water cruise tour 3 hrs or 2 hrs. Roughly 35$. Departs 11:30 or 3pm daily.

-Explore Times Square

-Times Square Visitor Center (Times Square Ball Drop Show the 05, 25, 45 of every hour and New Years Eve Wishing Wall- Make a wish on confetti for the ball drop)

-Broadway show - Get half price tickets at the red stairs in times square at 3PM!

-Williamsburg

-Possible day trip to Washington DC (2.5-3 hours each way)

-Woodbury Commons Outlet (best shopping for bargains about a 40 minute bus ride)

-Skating Wolman Rink Central Park

-Bryant Park (Ice-skating, cute little markets, Celsius restaurant with a view)

-Brooklyn Bridge

-Promenade in Brooklyn Heights (skyline view of NYC)

-Brooklyn Flea Market

-Becco for Dinner (Unlimited pasta dishes) becco-nyc.com/wp-content/…dinner-menu.pdf

-New York Public Library

-Dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner

-Serendipity 3 (225 east 60th Street) -Best desserts in NYC! Star spotting, frozen hot chocolate (May be a waiting list or need to make a reservation for another day)

-Empire State Building (Best at night)

-Rockefeller Center (Best at day)

-Christmas Tree and ice rink at the Rockefeller

-The Museum of Modern Art

-Grand Central Station

-Central Park (ice-skating, zoo, bike tour, Strawberry Fields, famous water fountain, the lake, horse and carriage ride)

-Wollman Rink (In central park)

-Soho (Mercer St) shopping (Beautiful shops, streets, cafes, really cool vibe, allow some good time for Soho!)

-Hop on and off bus (Great run down of the city, even if you only do an area you run out of time to see by foot! We ran out of time to do Harlem so that was good to see via the bus tour)

-Statue of Liberty

-Carries Apartment

-Dylan's Candy Bar (60th street)

-60th Street is lively at night -has loads of restaurants, Serendipity 3 and Bloomingdales

-See a local comedy show! Hilarious local jokes. SIT AT THE BACK!! They sell tickets for 10$-20$ each in Times Square, but beware most have a two drink minimum deal. We ended up getting 4 tickets for the price of two, and we met people who got them for free so they are happy to drop the price but you need to buy two drinks there.

-Greenwich (the village)

-Late Night with David Letterman (free tickets at the door the day before)

-High Line Concrete park

- 47th floor of Marriot Times Square

-UN Building

-Sleep No More (Interactive Broadway show)

-Meatpacking district

-Wall Street

-230 on Fifth (bar)

-Memorial 9/11 (book tickets online)

-Waffles and Dingles (Vans around the city YUM)

-See an 'off Broadway Show' (Frezua Bruta was amazing)

-Tiffanys

-Fifth Avenue

-Starbucks

-Bagels

-Ride the subway!

-Visit Macys, Barneys, Bloomingdales, H&M etc

-Pink Berry (Amazing frozen yoghurt on almost every street!)

-Shake Shack (Massive hype. Best burgers and milkshakes you'll ever have. Always a massive line out the door but they go quick! 691 8th Ave)

-Local Ice-Hockey game

-Ink48 rooftop bar (11th Ave 48th Street, my favourite view of the city, expensive drinks but worth it)

-New York Public Library

-Battery Park

-Chrysler Building

-Football Game - Go the Giants!

Champlin, Minnesota
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Did you accomplish all these things in one trip? Good for you because you have a lot of things here! This is a good list. It seems like you covered everything.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

That's a great one. I can also refer to your list for my trip in Dec! Thanks :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

I've stayed for a month in NYC and don't think I could get all of these done. I think a 'must do' list should have 5 things tops. Some I agree with, some you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming! It's all about personal preference. I'll add one (I didn't read the whole list so I'm sure I could add many more): See the ballet at the Lincoln Center. Beautiful venue, beautiful performances.

Margaret River
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

A few extra things to check out to maybe add to the ever growing list!!! Thanks

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Wondering how you flew to DC in 2.5 to 3 hours but certainly an interesting list

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
317 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Great list, thank you.

We have just booked our first trip to NYC for May 2014 so this will be an excellent starting point for the plan. I doubt if we will get half of the list accomplished on our 7 day visit but it will provide lots of discussion.

If anyone has anything to add, that'd be fabulous.

Cheers

Nzers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

We have just booked our Amtrak tickets to Washington DC as a day trip, 3 hour each way ( that's all the time we had spare) so it is going to be a very long day with a 4am train and my kids will have to sleep on the train , but will hopefully get to see a few sites in that time

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

ree-nyc: I don't know what arrangements you've already made for Washington, but if you're interested you should book a free tour of the Capitol online. Tours start at 8:30 a.m. so pretty soon after your Washington arrival.

http://tours.visitthecapitol.gov/

The Capitol is a short walk from Union Station (which is worth having a look around in its own right.) You'll see the Capitol if you just go out the front of Union Station. There was a fair amount of roadway construction in front of the station, but if it's still there you can get through it pretty easily.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,743 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Wow makes me tired just reading it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
480 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Thanks Dani - appreciate it that you took the time to write all that down. I have yet to put together an itinerary & we will be there at Xmas also. I think I have what you'd call - the equivalent of writers block. I can't seem to get my act together to work out what we should do & in what order. I have got some great tips from the experts on this site but the more I research I do, the further away from 'doing' I get!