We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

I created this list before I went to NYC for the first time, and have passed it on to a few people. Thought I'd share on here for anyone who is getting excited about an upcoming NYC trip! We went over NYE and Xmas time.

Enjoy. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Ps. I'm from Sydney, Aus - Clearly not a NYC local so excuse the errors in terminology and the vagueness- but the list worked for me :)

New York To Do List

-Circle Line water cruise tour 3 hrs or 2 hrs. Roughly 35$. Departs 11:30 or 3pm daily.

-Explore Times Square

-Times Square Visitor Center (Times Square Ball Drop Show the 05, 25, 45 of every hour and New Years Eve Wishing Wall- Make a wish on confetti for the ball drop)

-Broadway show - Get half price tickets at the red stairs in times square at 3PM!

-Williamsburg

-Possible day trip to Washington DC (2.5-3 hours each way)

-Woodbury Commons Outlet (best shopping for bargains about a 40 minute bus ride)

-Skating Wolman Rink Central Park

-Bryant Park (Ice-skating, cute little markets, Celsius restaurant with a view)

-Brooklyn Bridge

-Promenade in Brooklyn Heights (skyline view of NYC)

-Brooklyn Flea Market

-Becco for Dinner (Unlimited pasta dishes) becco-nyc.com/wp-content/…dinner-menu.pdf

-New York Public Library

-Dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner

-Serendipity 3 (225 east 60th Street) -Best desserts in NYC! Star spotting, frozen hot chocolate (May be a waiting list or need to make a reservation for another day)

-Empire State Building (Best at night)

-Rockefeller Center (Best at day)

-Christmas Tree and ice rink at the Rockefeller

-The Museum of Modern Art

-Grand Central Station

-Central Park (ice-skating, zoo, bike tour, Strawberry Fields, famous water fountain, the lake, horse and carriage ride)

-Wollman Rink (In central park)

-Soho (Mercer St) shopping (Beautiful shops, streets, cafes, really cool vibe, allow some good time for Soho!)

-Hop on and off bus (Great run down of the city, even if you only do an area you run out of time to see by foot! We ran out of time to do Harlem so that was good to see via the bus tour)

-Statue of Liberty

-Carries Apartment

-Dylan's Candy Bar (60th street)

-60th Street is lively at night -has loads of restaurants, Serendipity 3 and Bloomingdales

-See a local comedy show! Hilarious local jokes. SIT AT THE BACK!! They sell tickets for 10$-20$ each in Times Square, but beware most have a two drink minimum deal. We ended up getting 4 tickets for the price of two, and we met people who got them for free so they are happy to drop the price but you need to buy two drinks there.

-Greenwich (the village)

-Late Night with David Letterman (free tickets at the door the day before)

-High Line Concrete park

- 47th floor of Marriot Times Square

-UN Building

-Sleep No More (Interactive Broadway show)

-Meatpacking district

-Wall Street

-230 on Fifth (bar)

-Memorial 9/11 (book tickets online)

-Waffles and Dingles (Vans around the city YUM)

-See an 'off Broadway Show' (Frezua Bruta was amazing)

-Tiffanys

-Fifth Avenue

-Starbucks

-Bagels

-Ride the subway!

-Visit Macys, Barneys, Bloomingdales, H&M etc

-Pink Berry (Amazing frozen yoghurt on almost every street!)

-Shake Shack (Massive hype. Best burgers and milkshakes you'll ever have. Always a massive line out the door but they go quick! 691 8th Ave)

-Local Ice-Hockey game

-Ink48 rooftop bar (11th Ave 48th Street, my favourite view of the city, expensive drinks but worth it)

-New York Public Library

-Battery Park

-Chrysler Building

-Football Game - Go the Giants!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Sorry to everyone who found the list too long or tiring....I just think it's a great list for people to pick out what interests them!

We were in NYC for 10 days and no we didn't get through the entire list, probably about a third of it! We were on the go the entire time though and can't wait to get back to the city that never sleeps!

Glad I've helped a few of you :)

Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Due to go to NYC in mid January 2014 so could find this helpful, already got a bit of an itinerary sorted. Is it a worthwhile trip going to Woodbury Common as I have heard mixed reports.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
19 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Hi Dani- thanks very much for providing this list. Our family will be there for Christmas & New Year. This list guides us way around. Enjoy your trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Thanks for the list, I will take a few tips for my trip in April.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,451 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

It is important for those reading the list to remember

a. the ice rinks are NOT year 'round

b. Things like the Circle Line have more frequent sailings in warm weather

c. Broadway SHow-check online for discounts which may make the price the same as TKTS ( red stairs) AND avoid having to stand online

d. you were lucky to get same day tickets to David Letterman!

Other than that--a really good list for others to look at and see what interests them!

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

I think we all understand that the list is seasonal.

however, coming from australia you do tend to make the most of your days because you never know when you will be back. It really is a long way to travel for a holiday.

thanks for the list

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Thanks for sharing! How long was your visit? It's awesome that you were able to do all these things...I'll be in NY for 6 nights (July 2014) & I'm in the process of putting my itinerary together (with a focus on not breaking the bank)...I may add the public library to my list & I'll also check out how to get discounted broadway tickets online as a previous poster mentioned vs waiting in line for discounted tickets or paying a couple hundred dollars for a show. Great advice/suggestions - Thanks!

Rdglady - Which online sites do you prefer when trying get discounted broadway tickets?

Edited: 02 March 2014, 11:32
Benfleet, United...
Level Contributor
534 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

I am going to NYC in April and signed up to BroadwayBox and Playbill - just Google them. They send you more or less daily updates and offers by email, but also have ongoing offers. We booked with BroadwayBox for a play with Denzel Washington as the lead and it was very straightforward and easy.

hope this helps.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 13:04
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

IN DC, even more interesting than the politicians are the pandas, the Insect Zoo (not in the Zoo), the paddle boats, the tulip library, the Air & Space Museum with the moon rock and the exceptional IMAX films, the Museum of the American Indian next door with stupendous exhibits and cafeteria, the Children's Discovery Center at the Ripley Wing, the dinosaurs that are going on 5 year vacation (renovations) in late April (5 years in out of 1,000,000 isn't a lot), the Hope Diamond, the gigundus elephant, Georgetown Cupcake, and the Carousel.

Have a great day!

Edited: 02 March 2014, 14:52
Solihull
Level Contributor
110 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Sharing my personal must do list for NYC!

Great list, thanks for posting it :)