We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYE in New York City

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
NYE in New York City

Hi All,

I've been reading threads about NYE 2013/14 but have still not found what I'm looking for...

My girlfriend and I are in our 20's abd headed to NYC for the first time! We've have been advised by a few friends that a roof top party is something we would really enjoy for NYE (over times square - which was our alternate...well...only other idea! Original, i know!).

I have only seen one other roof top bar suggestion on previous threads and would like any help on finding some more (suggestions) as I understand time's running out.

We will be staying at TRYP close to Times square.

Any suggestions are welcome, even outside the rooftop bar idea.

Christchurch, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NYE in New York City

Hi ClydeyP

I have just booked tickets to 230 fifth for New Year's Eve party. It's a rooftop bar. Google search it and there are loads of photos and info about the place. Tickets are pricey for us (coming from New Zealand) worked out to be $350 per person including taxes, but hey we will prob only ever do it once so why not treat ourselves !!! Read a great review from someone who went last year. Myself, my partner and our two friends are going (ages 24.25.25.26)

Super excited

May see you there :)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYE in New York City

Check: www.joonbug.com

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYE in New York City

$350 sounds pretty excessive!

I'm still considering either a (cheaper) party somehwere, or Times Square. Most sites and people don't recommend Times Square, but as a tourist, I think it'll be fun anyway. (Right? So many people show up, it must be at least a bit of fun..)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NYE in New York City

Standing in TS for 8/9 or more hours, no access to toilet facilities, food, seating - with over a million people milling about - doesn't sound like FUN to me!

To each his/her own.

You could always go to a pub/bar out of midtown - it will be a lot less cost than some of the "parties".

Christchurch, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYE in New York City

I don't think its that "excessive" I have read plenty of post on here about Bubba Gumos and other places costing thousands, like poppa said each to the own.

Our ticket includes food all night, a table for the four of us to sit at. A bottle of champagne and a bottle of vodka and also open bar from 9-1am and an experience like no other. In my opinion the views from what is saw on the website are like no other.

I come from a Country with four million people. I come from a city ruined by a earthquake so we have nothing like this in Christchurch let alone New Zealand.

I hope you enjoy Times Square :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYE in New York City

$350 can be excessive, I am a local and would not spend that kind of money PER PERSON; but I am budget-minded. The food compponent will not be good or as filling as a $10 Thai dinner. It is a nice experience but everyone's situation is different.

OP - you do not need to spend anywhere near that. As you are a couple, I do not recommend getting a table. There are no rooftop clubs which I know where you can see the ball drop. The closest is Times Square Terrace, which is a good place. The Empire is, as well. You should get the cheapest General Admission tickets and pre-game at your hotel.

For a NYE guide, please see tinyurl.com/ozdfrt6

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYE in New York City

Hi all. Thanks so much for your replies.

Janelle you have pretty much ticked all the boxes for what we are looking to do...ball is drop is not so important to us so that 'amazing view' is will more than suffice. $350 is probably what we were expecting to pay for a good night out on NYE - so long as the drinks are flowing! And yes, we may well see you Kiwis there!

Thanks Planta for the link - will have to have a good browse through it. And thanks Poppa for referring to Planta's thread, that has helped immensely!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYE in New York City

Remember it is $350 per person, which does not include service charge and tax, so really $450 per person. Please read my guide, as a couple getting a table is a horrible idea. Trust me, I've been there.

Christchurch, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NYE in New York City

If you read my post earlier i had mentioned that was included.

So to clear things up the price is $250US per person a ticket but with the exchange rate, taxes and service fee it added up to $350NZD.

Yes if I was at home in my home town then I would probably get $10 Thai too, but I'm not, I'm travelling half way around the world to your city to experience what hopes a to be an unforgettable night. I have been planning and saving for this trip since November last year so I'm happy to be spending an "excessive" amount of money.

I have talked to someone who went last year a husband and wife and they did not get a table she also recommended as a couple it wasn't needed - so that would bring the price down a lot more. I think it's $180US per person for a general admission ticket. It's all on the website though.

Clydey - no problem, I'm glad I helped. 'ball drop' wasn't too important to us either, flowing alcohol, great music and fantastic views were defiantly a must on our list.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYE in New York City

I say enjoy! It is NYE in NYC! If I was not a NY'er and came just for NYE, I would probably do the same.....