We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

Trying to book a couple of restaurants in for our forthcoming trip at the beginning of December and they are via open table. It's telling me its too soon to book, does anyone know when I should try again ? Just want to get it sorted as we are only there 3 nights and have 2 shows to work round.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

Why not just cut out the middle man, contact the restaurants directly and book that way? If it's too early, they'll tell you when to call back.

As it stands, no one can give you an answer given there are hundreds of restaurants in NYC and you haven't said where you are planning to eat.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

If it says on opentable that it's too early to book, usually it's around 1 month. So, I would try to book about a month out. Not all restaurants on opentable have that one month limit. Some you can book far in advance. As far as "cut out the middle man," if the restaurant is on opentable, I almost always book via opentable because it's easier, faster, and you can do it anytime (as opposed to waiting until they're open). The exception is if the restaurant is booked up on opentable, sometimes a table will be available by calling. That's because some restaurants hold back tables for reservations through opentable.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

Every restaurant that I need to make reservations for (also in December) gave me the same message - and when I contacted the restaurant they all said one month out. So that would be my guess for you too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

some restaurants will only take reservations 30 days in advance to the day - others it's 60 days. And a lot of places that arent hotspots will take them more in advance.

The hot restaurants all seem to use the same software that doesnt let them take reservations more than 30 days in advance.

suitcaseready.com

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

FYI, most restaurants do not put *all* their tables on opentable. They put a certain percentage that they don't think they can fill otherwise. This is because restaurants have to pay opentable for any tables filled through the web site. You should always call the restaurant if opentable shows no "open tables." Most decent restaurants actually hate opentable. I have heard it called "lazytable" at *lot* in the industry. If people weren't so lazy, this obnoxious web site would go away. Everyone has a "smart" phone now -- why not use it?

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

I can see where some in the restaurant industry would hate opentable. After all, they're paying opentable to fill their seats. However, for the consumer, opentable is a wonderful thing. It's almost gotten to the point where I don't go to restaurants that aren't on opentable (I say almost). No more calling a restaurant, being put on hold, not having the time you need, but offered a different time, but not knowing if your friends can make that time, etc... One stop shopping, kind of like the amazon.com of restaurants.

It's even better when visiting another city where you're not familiar with the local restaurants.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

I agree with Dan. OpenTable makes things so much easier, no waiting for the restaurant to be open, and to actually answer, and then being put on hold, etc, etc. If it's a top tier restaurant, I still call. If the restaurant shows as booked and I really want to eat there on Day X, I call. But otherwise I use OpenTable, and I love it. :)

As has been said by others, most restaurant book either a calendar month, 30 days, or 28 days in advance.

Good luck!

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

lazytable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

<<Everyone has a "smart" phone now -- why not use it?>>

Even if you do have a smart phone, which NOT everyone does, what would it be used for?? Call on expensive international rates in the early hours of the morning to cater for time differences when you are from another country? Or even if you're in the city, incur large data charges for calling the restaurant..it's not a local call for international visitors unless they faff around and get a new Sim card (or cheap phone).

I'm with Frangipani and Dan, Open Table is useful and convenient...and if necessary, there's the phone as well. Not really sure how it's lazy to use Opentable.......

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant reservations - anyone know how long in advance ?

It would help if you say which restaurants you are trying to book, I'm sure locals could give you some more help.

With regards to online bookings here's some insider knowledge. Restaurants will and can reduce online bookings for popular times or days. This forces online bookers to book less popular times or days where the restaurant is less busy. If you can, phone the restaurant as they often keep back popular times and days for phone bookings only.

I'm currently trying to book Gramercy Tavern for a Saturday night in November and have set an alarm for when bookings open 28 days in advance, fingers crossed.