We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

England, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

Hi

I have researched various shows, and beleive BIG FISH looks good for a family of 4 (children are 11 & 14)

I would love to see the bigger shows but just cannot justify all that money for 4 of us.

This is at the Neil Simon Theatre, and i could get late December tickets for $67.75 each, but they are 4 rows from the back.

Has anyone been to this theatre or seen the show that could offer any advice.

I'm trying to keep costs down as also want to see Radio City Christmas Show, but dont want to waste my money if it just is not worth sitting at the back

Any advice would be very much appreciated

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

I saw Big Fish and saw it from way up in the balcony. The only problem with being that high is that some of the conversations take place on the side of a "river" You can not see the river when you are high up and you can not see the mermaid who is swimming in the river. ( people stand to see) It is, a minor inconvenience in terms of the overall experience AND you will get a full Broadway experience from Big Fish. It IS a piece of very bad staging.

Don't be put off by what I wrote. While the conversations may be by the river--most of the characters are coming from land! If you go to the Official Broadway site

http://www.bigfishthemusical.com/

you can see a preview. The river is there for a few seconds--I'd say the ratio of river in this video is the same as in the show!

England, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

Thank you.

I also note there are lots of tickets available for this show, is this not a popular show?

I note that there were discounts to be had for November, do you think worth waiting to see if any available for December due to the amount of tickets left?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

You can read Big Fish reviews at didhelikeit.com/shows/big-fish-reviews.html

On a related topic, you might want to check out this show playhing in December at the New Victory, a kids & family thater, very reasonable prices www.newvictory.org/Show-Detail.aspx… -- I've been to many shows at the New Vic and they were a lot of fun

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,287 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

The New Vic is a lot of fun but they do not have the production budget of a Broadway show. Except for the one detail I mentioned earlier it is really a fantastic set--and as it goes on you realize that much is computer generated and not real.

I do not know why the show is not doing as well as expected. It could be, as one of the reviews stated in LivesinNewJersey's link said--it is too wholesome.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

to clarify, rdglady is exactly right about the New Vic's production budget -- I was suggesting them in addition to something else. But they are so cheap -- espcially the ridiculously cheap $17 balconey seats which I've sat in many a time, that you can take in a broadway show + this and hardly feel it in the wallet

new york
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

I would expect that there will be discounts available for most dates. There have been rumors that it could close in January due to low ticket sales. I have heard mixed things about the show but I haven't seen it myself.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

Their grosses are pretty pathetic for a brand new, heavily anticipated show

www.broadwayworld.com/grosses/BIG-FISH#

Although they are selling around 90% of their seats they are so heavily discounted that the ratio of actual to potential gross has only between 50-60%

Now, I haven't seen it so I can't comment on how good it is. But that said, you and your kids will LOVE Peter and the Starcatcher which is off broadway and therefore (a) cheaper to begin with, even undiscounted and (b) you'll sit a lot closer -- if you buy them soon you may be astonished at how close you get. BTW, Peter won 5 Tonys when it was on Broadway

Edited: 21 October 2013, 22:03
England, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

I did look at Peter and the Starcatcher, but from 23rd Dec to 30th (when we are there), all tickets are $115.

They do have discounts for other dates, but not when I am coming, shame!

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

ohhh, yeah. that's a high demand week, as you might imagine, plus they're closing in January so sales are expected to be high

Have you looked at the National Comedy Theater -- they aren't a kid-specific show but they do clean comedy and it gets great reviews

http://www.manhattancomedy.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60763-d56…

It's not a "big show" but it is the kind of think you'd only find in NYC or LA or Chicago

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broadway show on a budget - Big Fish!

Here's a recent discount code for Big Fish, select dates through 1/26/14:

NYTW1