We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expensive?

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Expensive?

Hi

We are travelling from the UK on Thursday (so excited). Wondered if we will find everything more expensive or less than home?

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Expensive?

I think the prices are comparable to Paris. Much like Paris if you go where the tourists go, it will be more expensive. Do your research for places that many locals prefer to go to. A famous Paris bakery will sell you Macarons for 3 euros and up whereas another one 2 blocks to the East who may not be in the magazines and all over the internet will give you better service for half of the price.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expensive?

Relative to the UK I think you'll find everything less expensive by virtue of the exchange rate. USA brand clothing will be much less expensive. The only thing you may find more expensive is beer/alcohol.

New York
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expensive?

We have been to London several times and have yet figured out how to stay or eat cheaply. If you know your way around NYC, it is cheaper, but I guess the same is true for London. The restaurants out of midtown in residential areas are uniformally cheaper and often better.

England
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Expensive?

we are travelling Thurday as well....I've never found the US more expensive than the UK, but the days of $2 to the pound are a distant memory....

As an example, I needed a brake disc for my Harley Davidson, UK price £250....US price $115.

Levis 527 jeans, Best UK price £34, ordered in advance in US for $36. (my favourite fit of denim, ever).

On the other hand we are eating at Red Rooster and Del Friscos, both are more expensive than even eating Thai in the UK. But if you were to compare them to Gaucho in London ( a very decent steakhouse) they aren't too different.

But if you're only know looking at what costs are like, it's a bit late.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expensive?

remember - the price you see may not be all you pay! jewellery, watches, electronics and all sorts of other goods attract sales tax which is added at the cash register. it is 8%, i think. clothing and shoes under $100 is exempt.

food and beverages have tax too. and you need to allow for a tip. tax around 10%, tip around 20%. in lower priced places, just add 20% to the total. but if it is a really expensive meal, remember that you do not need to tip on the tax element!

tipping is for any element of serving. if you serve yourself, and sit where you want [starbucks, burger king etc.,] no need to tip.

beer seems expensive, but spirits can be better value - often they are free-poured not measured. be careful - 'legless in manhattan' is not a good look! tipping the barstaff is usual.

we buy the bulk of our clothing in new york - basics such as undies and socks are better quality for the money. coats and weather-proof gear, jeans, shoes and luggage are good value too.

check out duane reed for makeup essentials, skin care and otc medicines if you use them. also contact lens solution. note - you cannot easily buy contact lenses, though they are cheap. you need a permanent u.s. address for the optician's insurance, by law.

have fun!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expensive?

I would say its generally cheaper too with the potentital exception of accomodation - I found the likes of eating drinking etc very reasonable for a better quality of food and better service to boot!

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
16 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expensive?

We'd second all that LMV said, couldn't agree more!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expensive?

Also for food and drinks...look out for happy hours....!!!

Many stores such as Macy's offer discount to tourist.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expensive?

Brilliant - thank you!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
947 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Expensive?

I find drinks very expensive (particularly wine!), but food quite inexpensive.

Clothes tend to be the same amount of $'s as you expect to pay in £'s, so if it would set you back £20, it'll be more like $20, so cheaper.

I second the legless in manhattan comment above! Very generous with the spirits compared to the UK.... I lost a whole day due to a hangover, courtesy of BB Kings, their fabulous bar man and the guys playing the rat pack. Whoops.