We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christamas in New York

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Christamas in New York

Im lucky to say I have been to NYC many times from England, but as I usually go in the summer ,im more than exited about going the weekend prior to Christmas this year.So was wondering if someone can give me some ideas ,things to do over this festive period .Flying in on 16th for 4 nts .I have done the typical tourist things so Im looking for something festive atmospheric.

I am surprising my 60 year old mum so want it to be really nice.

Firstly I was wondering if someone can recommend a nice hotel in Times Square.I am looking for a twin bedded room,as travelling with parent.I have stayed in this area many times,and although a tourist destination I like the idea of walking back to the hotel after a show at night and not hunting for a cab.The hotel I usually stay in is the Westin.But it is totally soulless! .Its great for location and rooms are nice but I stay here in the summer .Think it will be a bit grim at Christmas time. Was thinking of the Intercontinental in Times Square but guessing the same might apply. I ve looked at the Palace Hotel but as its an old hotel ,the rooms vary so much ,kind of like standardisation you get with modern built hotels. I'm open to suggestions .Thought of the Waldorf but reviews are so mixed as it depends on the room you are allocated .

Secondly ,I am looking to have some nice lunches in Manhattan ,Like American fare, not Italian. Anyone have any ideas ?Think I had lunch in the Waldorf once -casual -club sandwich etc and was nice ,but looking for traditional ,bit of opulence.

Finally ,can someone recommend a good show or play? I m going to Radio City to see the Rockettes Christmas Show so was thinking of the play with Rachel Weisz or Kinky Boots ???

Finally ,would like to do some nice things- like afternoon tea in the ??? or lunch in the ??? Want to visit a hotel which has the nice tree and decorations .Therefore the W hotels are not what I am looking for.

Also like to see something new -hate museums lol

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christamas in New York

Embrace the fact that you are in NYC for Christmas and do some Christmassy things - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6928…

For afternoon tea, you can choose from any of the places in this thread: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6763…

The play with Rachel Weisz, Betrayal, also features Daniel Craig. It's on to January, so that is an option. There are also plenty of other Broadway and off Broadway shows. However; have you thought about doing something like going to a jazz club such as Dizzy's coca cola jazz club or a ballet such as the NYCB's The Nutcracker. You will need to do a forum search for the exact details, but you can also go to rehearsals for classical musical concerts, it you're into that.

Finally, to help us give suggestions re "Also like to see something new -hate museums lol" you need to tell us what you and your mum are into. We have no idea what you have and haven't seen before. You should also post your budget, in US$, for your accommodation so that the hotel experts can help you out.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christamas in New York

Into shopping , sightseeing. Have done Statue of Liberty , harbour cruise etc

Hotels around 4 star- intercontinental times sq

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christamas in New York

Great post Ktsnowowl'...

Neil, we loved going to Bergdorf Goodman for afternoon tea on NYE. A great way to have a large meal and 'fill up' before a concert

But Neil - your comment 'hate museums lol'. Can I ask, do you mean art museums (eg the Met Museum and the MoMA), or do you mean museums that focus on history (eg the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side, the NY Historical Society on the Upper West Side, the Museum of the History of NYC on the Upper East Side or Merchant House Museum on 4th Street)) or both types? They are all so different and I wonder if you might be missing.

Last year the Merchant House Museum had a great exhibition of 150 years of Christmas decorations. Their online program doesn't extend to your dates yet, but that is a really lovely place and the decorations were fascinating.

Otherwise, I would also add to Ktsnowowl's great suggestion about Dizzy's by adding another wonderful venue we enjoyed (twice) last year - 54 Below....OMG I just found out what they are doing on NYE...need to finish this post and get on to google!

Edited: 23 October 2013, 08:24
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christamas in New York

"Into shopping, sightseeing"

Not very specific but given the two things you have mentioned, I would suggest:

Greenwich Village - start the day there, have a look at NYU, go down Bleeker Street and check out the one off shops and cafes, have lunch at Little Owl. Then make your way up to the High Line and walk it to you hit Chelsea Market, which you can then explore. You can have dinner there or go on to Hells Kitchen.

Brooklyn - visit DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights and/or Williamsburg. If you are there at night there is a section that has some amazing Christmas lights (forget what they are called, but JennyR has been there and hopefully she can answer this). Visit the Brooklyn Brewery, eat at the Brooklyn Ice creamery (who cares if its winter!), time your visit for when the Brooklyn Flea Market is on. There are heaps of posts on this, do a forum search of Brooklyn for ideas or actually get on Google.

Harlem - head up to Harlem and check out the Apolo Theatre, soul food and music and Louis Armstrong's house to name but a few things.

I'd also look at a walking tour that will give you a good overview of a neighbourhood. You can then go and do some exploring and ahoppinh own your own.

Try www.freetoursbyfoot.com they have walking tours and walking food tours. There is also www.realnewyorktours.com and Big Onion Tours. Want something more specific? Try Graffiti Tours (street art), the Lower East side Historical Tours or if you like your tv and movies, On Board Tours.

Also, naming a hotel doesn't really help the hotel experts. Prices vary at different times of the year, hence why people will ask for an actual budget.

Scotland
Level Contributor
184 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christamas in New York

I've visited New York many times also (mostly at Christmas) and I've always quite fancied staying the Marriott Marquis at Times Square. I've visited the hotel for brunch in the revolving restaurant the top (which I totally recommend!) and although it's a big hotel, there always seems to be a buzz about it at Christmas time.

I stayed in the Waldorf in June and definitely would not recommend it, yes the lobby etc is beautiful but step beyond that and you are paying a fortune for mediocre rooms. I'd go as so far as to the say room I stayed in at the New Yorker Hotel was better.

If you've been many times I'm sure you've seen Wicked but if not, that's my show recommendation!

I've also been to see the Dyker Heights Christmas lights in Brooklyn, which are fantastic however not the easiest to get to. It's quite a walk from the nearest subway station so if you do it I'd recommend getting a taxi from the subway station or perhaps looking for an organised tour from Manhattan?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christamas in New York

Thanks Cancunfan, Dyker Heights were the lights I was thinking of

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christamas in New York

http://www.broadwayworld.com

This site has a help me find a show section that might help you out to find a Broadway Show. As for getting tickets to Kinky Boots, there might not be any available. This show is selling out fast.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,901 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christamas in New York

The Louis Armstrong home is in Queens, not Harlem louisarmstronghouse.org/visiting/overview.htm Interesting, but probably not for a 4 day visit unless a big fan.

As suggested above, the Bergdorf tea room is a real treat. bergdorfgoodman.com/stores/restaurant.jsp…

9. Re: Christamas in New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:20