We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning to visit New York over Christmas in 2014 (20th Dec- 26th Dec). 6 months later we will be back again for 5 days (End of July). I have looked through the information about what to do in New York in general and what to do in the summer.

My main question is if you were coming when we're coming, what would you do in the winter and what would you save for the summer? We want to see all the normal things e.g. Empire State building, times square, central park, Brooklyn Bridge, Soho, Greenwich etc. We tend to see a lot in a short time so the more the merrier! Are some things best in summer or winter? Thank-you

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

If you are basing it on the seasons - look at doing more indoor things in the winter so it doesn't matter if its freezing or raining and outdoor in the summer.

If you're looking at doing something like a cruise like the Circle Line Cruise, do that in the summer. I'd do Central Park both times, but there will of course be a lot more going on there over summer than winter. However, all the Christmas stuff and cold weather activities such as ice skating you can only do in when it's winter.

Given that you know your dates so far in advance, you are in a good position to read trip reports from the times that you are going to see the kinds of people are doing to get ideas of what to do when.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,785 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

Ice skate in the winter. ;) (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,552 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

I'd do lots of theater and museums in the winter. Since you'll be here for Xmas, there are also Xmas specific things to see/do like the Xmas lights in Dyker Heights and some Xmas shows that won't be on in summer. I'd save a visit to the Statue of Liberty, and walking the Brooklyn Bridge for warmer weather.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

If you plan on visiting any if the city's better or trendier restaurants, I would do that in the summer. Reservations are much easier to come by in the summer since the city is much less crowded then, particularly on weekends.

Tracey

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

Echoing much of what the others have said:

There will be Christmas activities to do in December: shop windows and trees to see, holiday markets, ice skating, etc. Other than this, focus on museums and on other indoor attractions...Grand Central Terminal with its holiday train show, for example.

Unless you're very sensitive to heat, July will be perfect for walking through neighborhoods and parks. Lots of places to eat and drink out doors, and lots of outdoor festivals and concerts. Anything on the water (cruise, visit to SoL, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge) will be nicer in July. Do the Top of the Rock in July, too.

Enjoy!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

Walk the Highline in the summer (beautiful gardens and "wild flowers").

Keep in mind that each season can have weather that is uncomfortable for extended walking and outdoor activities. In a way, it's easier to deal with cold than heat and humidity. Just bundle up!

At either time, keep an eye on weather forecasts and try to have flexibility to take advantage of milder days for big walking expeditions, clear days for views, etc.

7. Re: 5 days over Xmas (next year) 5 days in July what to do when?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:20