We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
581 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

We are coming to NYC on Dec 30.

In Copenhagen, where we come from, NYE is mostly spent at a private party with family or friends. And is all about where best to enjoy the fireworks.

We are considering staying at Wythe Hotel, which seems to have a splendid Manhattan view. We will not go to TS.

Is NYC as crazy about fireworks as Copenhagen? I guess my question is, will we be able to enjoy the fireworks from our room or will we be disappointed?

Thanks for any advice - K

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

Where is the hotel? Address and cross street. Fireworks are in Central Park.

Who would know if you would be able to see the fireworks from your hotel?

Your question is much too general.

Please research and send some more information.

I could have GOOGLED for information - but want to give you the opportunity to research.

Perhaps someone at the hotel would be able to advise you about fireworks viewing.

Thanks

Edited: 27 October 2013, 18:05
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

If there is a great view from any of the hotel rooms, which I doubt as the hotel is a converted factory building and not that tall, I would imagine a guarantee of a Manhattan View room would go for a premium on NYE.

If the hotel you are considering does have a great view from the rooftop they are most likely having a NYE event, so you could inquire about ticketing.

Or they might be able to recommend another venue nearby if you prefer to be in walking distance at the end of your evening.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

Fire works are best viewed in Central Park or around the Brooklyn Bridge/Lower Manhattan for the ones that go off the Statue of Liberty

Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
581 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

Thank you all for your responses to this. Yes, reading my own post now I realize that I could have been a bit more specific, but I just assumed that everyone would know what I was talking about when I mentioned Wythe Hotel. Sorry, my mistake.

The thing is, here in CPH, having just a view of a few rooftops means that you will have spectacular firework views. I guess Danes just use A LOT of money on fireworks. But I have a feeling it is not the same in other cities, that's why I asked. Anyway, we are still debating whether to go on Dec 30 or Jan 1, so it just might be that it will all be over by the time we reach Brooklyn.

Thanks again - Katrine

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,969 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

The NYE fireworks here are really minor. They're not a big deal at all. You'll actually be closer to the (also minor) fireworks in Prospect Park, but we're talking a few brief minutes of fireworks. You'll see them from a rooftop, but they're not worth planning an evening around if you're catching them from a distance.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

Hello! I hope you dont mind me messaging you, I came across your post whilst looking for info on Christmas markets in Copenhagen, I'll be visiting between the 22nd and 24th November , the Indian Market you mention in your post sounds amazing! how do I find out its where abouts? The trip is for my 30th Birthday, so would love to find something special in one of the markets. Look forward to hearing from you x

Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
581 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

Hello Ginsey - check out your inbox. I figured it was better to contact you directly instead of writing about Christmas markets in a NYC-post.

8. Re: question about nye in nyc - mostly about fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 06:20