We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

4 posts
Save Topic
What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Not sure if I will get around to writing a trip report, I started but it just takes so long! We visited October 19 - 24, 2013

My advice is... listen to the trip advisors when they say DO NOT over commit your intenary. I took their advice and still didn't have time to do everything! getting from place to place just takes time (we traveled via subway mostly) and just found our day eaten up by travel time (and we did make sure to link spots together by area) but just simply ran out of time. One reason I believe added to our time was that we stayed in Queens (if you already have a hotel booked here don't panic it is fine but I would much rather have stayed in Times Square (it would have been $500 more overall for us), I think it is worth the extra $$ because Times Square-42nd street subway station has so many train connections whereas where we stayed in Queens (Quality Inn, Woodside) only had the 7 train nearby. Relying on that one 7 train was difficult at times (sometimes it was delayed and other times it simply was not running at all, so staying by a station that had other trains would be ideal) Another area in Queens that might have been better is a hotel between Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza, I saw a few options around there which would be cheaper than Times Square. But ideally Times Square seems the best because it would have cut at least 30 minutes off our travel time. This is most important for those that only have a few days like we did.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 06:57
Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Times Square
Times Square
44,145 Reviews
New York City, NY
42nd Street
42nd Street
354 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,570 Reviews
New York City, NY
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

:Lizbear, thanks for taking the time to give that feedback.

For those taking on Lizbear's comments, here's the list of hotels in Queens (including the much recommended hotels in Long Island City) prepared by former TA regular GWB.

'The usual Long Island City hotels that we recommend based on the convenience of their locations are the Verve, the Vetiver, the Country Inn and Suites, the Quality Inn on 40th Avenue, the Holiday Inn Manhattan View, the Fairfield Inn and Suites Queensboro Bridge, the 4 Points by Sheraton Queensboro Bridge, and the Comfort Inn on Crescent Street.

Not quite as convenient, but possible, are the Ramada, the Wyndham Manhattan View, the LaQuinta (which is really in Sunnyside, and not LIC, near the 40th Street station of the #7 subway), and the Quality Inn on Queens Boulevard (which is really in Woodside, near the 52nd Street station of the #7.)

The hotels with Long Island City addresses that are not as well located (either because of distance from transportation, or noisy/ugly/ inconvenient /questionable site) are the Days Inn on Queens Boulevard, the Z, the Best Western City View, the Fairfield Inn Manhattan View on Van Dam Street, and the Queensboro Hotel.'

So while the hotel that Lizbear stayed in is not on the 'not recommended list', as Lizbear says, there are more convenient options in that area. And there are many other options on Manhattan than those hotels in or near Times Square. So just post:

- EXACT dates,

- budget per night (in US $$),

- required bedding configuration

- any other requirements

Then accommodation gurus will help out.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Hotel Vetiver
Hotel Vetiver
1,174 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Queensboro Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
232 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Comfort Diner
The Comfort Diner
782 Reviews
New York City, NY
Sunnyside
Sunnyside
150 Reviews
Tarrytown, NY
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
378 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,145 Reviews
New York City, NY
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,866 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Thanks for that Lizbear, I'd found a great, well priced hotel in Queens but my sister convinced me it was worth the extra $60 a night to stay near Times Sq. It seems she was right, so I'm glad she's not on TA! lol

Good to know the subway is easy to use as it looks pretty confusing when you're used to the tube. I think I'm going with a list of must dos and a few maybes and will just see what fits... I don't want to be rushing from place to place and not have time to relax and just soak up the atmosphere.

Mentioned in this post
Queens
Queens
New York
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Thanks for sharing. That will be valuable info for many people.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

I still don't think it's necessary to stay in Times Squrare to have access to more train lines. If you look ata. Subway map, there are plenty of locations (near Grand Central, upper west side, midtown east near Bloomingdales) that provide access to multiple trains.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 10:32
Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,238 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bloomingdale's
Bloomingdale's
767 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Times Square does have good connections but its a trade off. It's obnoxious having to push through thousands of people, elmos, street vendors to get to the train entrance. Grand central is also ideal. There are a lot of spots in NYC where many trains meet.

Queens is a great choice for a budget traveler. If someone is under budget for Manhattan, Queens is a much better alternative than an illegal hotel or hotel in Newark/LGA/Bergen.

Your feedback is always appreciated. Hope you had a good time!

Edited: 28 October 2013, 11:23
Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,145 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Downtown hotels are sometimes a good choice on weekends since its an off-peak time. It's usually very quiet down there in the evenings, so can be a good choice if you don't like crowds. The Fulton Street Station is huge, with just as good access to the major subway lines as Times Square, IMO.

-JimG

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,145 Reviews
New York City, NY
Tampa Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Thanks for the advise.Booked a hotel in Times Square. Going Thanksgiving week with 3 teenagers 12,14,16. Doing all the research so we can get more things done in such a short time. Thank You!

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,145 Reviews
New York City, NY
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,624 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

I'm a LIC fan. I do agree that the Times Square/42nd St subway station (not to be confused with the madness that goes on above ground there) is the major hub of the train system, I don't agree that staying next to it is at all necessary. Hotels in LIC mentioned above (the first recommended grouping) are all 15 minutes or less to said 42nd St station. And between the two primary stations in that area Queensboro Plaza, and Queen's Plaza, there are a total of six train lines to choose from. Whenever I've stayed at one of those hotels in LIC, I have come and gone during the day as needed, and found most places I wanted to go within 45 minutes by train, an hour if going WAY out like Coney Island, or the Bronx Zoo.

My favorite spot to stay is in Manhattan's Upper West Side but only if the price is right. Everyone has their priorities, but I prefer to have more spending money while in NY rather than a "nicer" hotel.

OP's hotel choice wasn't bad, but it did come with the tradeoff of being a bit further out. I have considered that hotel before because its price is usually pretty nice.

Mentioned in this post
LIC Hotel
LIC Hotel
378 Reviews
Long Island City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,145 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,570 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bronx Zoo
Bronx Zoo
2,630 Reviews
Bronx, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
803 Reviews
New York City, NY
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

Forgot to mention before... many thanks to all those who take the time to give advice in this forum, I learned a lot for my trip and the info was invaluable!!

10. Re: What I learned (my opinion on subway / where to stay)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 04:18