We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Hello!!

We are a family from Brazil (couple and a daughter of 13 years) and in December we will drive (15 days) by the U.S.

Arrive at JFK (6 AM - 6th December) and going to:

Baltimore 1 night

Charlotte to rest

Atlanta 2 nights

Savannah 2 nights

Charleston 1 night

Wilmington visit war ship

Williamsburg 2 nights

DC 3 nights

Philadelphia 2 nights

NYC (drop off the car) 9 nights

We´ll rent a car, but I have some questions:

In Alamo, what cars are in these category:

Standard

Mid suv

Full size

For a trip of about 2000 miles which category would be recommended? comfort and consumption

And it is better to rent with toll pass device?

Thank you so much for any help.

Flávio

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

I don't know why you would drive from NYC to Baltimore. The car rental will cost much more from NYC than if you were to fly or take the train to Baltimore and rent from there. Driving straight after a long flight is I think dangerous to yourselves and others on the road. You will also be hitting rush hour traffic on one of the busiest days of the year. Bad idea.

To find what cars are in each category, go to the Alamo website. They should tell you and show you photos.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

The electronic toll pass is a good idea, as it saves a LOT of time at toll payment points.

As to the size of car rental, the amount of leg room in the back seat (especially if one of the adults sits there part of the time) and luggage storage is the biggest factors. A compact will probably not be a good idea, but a mid size might be fine. Renting a larger car than you really need (esp. a SUV) will increase fuel costs. https:/…cars.html

And you might comparison shop using trains for NYC/Baltimore and DC/Philadelphia/NYC as these areas are well served by public transportation and are congested hectic places to drive.

You could maybe pick up a car in the Baltimore area. It is so close to DC that their airport is call the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. That might avoid any fee for dropping off the car at a different location than where you picked it up.

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Nywhiz,

Thank you so much !

6th December is one of the busiest days of the year ? why ?

I usually sleep in flight, for me drive a little is no problem at all (and drive here in Brazil is very very different if compares to drive in USA).

Alamo just show the examples for car categories and I know the models change by locations.

Thank you for your help.

Flávio

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Kaye

thank you!

I'll do that (compare prices). But I think, since we are in 3, the car it's better offer.

In DC and Philly I know it's better to use the public transportation. Our hotels has parking included, so the car is just to return to NYC (with the luggage). It is more convenient and practical, I think.

Tks for the tips.

Flávio

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Amtrak train prices go up the closer you buy to your travel dates. There is a (more expensive) Acela service, but the Northeast Regional is fine and only a little slower. www.amtrak.com/northeast-regional-train

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Thank you !

let´s count:

Amtrak - the best rate for 3 people one way u$ 122,00

My original plan - rent at JFK / drop off Manhattan - u$ 600 (mid size SUV or STD car)

Other options:

Rent Baltimore airport / drop off Baltimore - u$488 + train tickets

Rent Baltimore airport / drop off Manhattan - u$ 659 + train tickets

If we think about $$$ the first plan it´s better (without fuel).

Thank you !

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

I has another option !!

pick up the train to Philly - rent the car and goes to Baltimore (run away from rush hour).

Just see if its much $$$

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Do the prices you quote for car rentals include INSURANCE?? Insurance for foreign drivers sometimes double the rental price. You also have to add tolls, gas and parking to your rental prices.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

You won't know exactly what models are available at Alamo until you arrive. If you reserve a smaller car, then decide it is too small, you can go back and upgrade to a larger model (if one is available.)

Vila Velha, ES
Level Contributor
136 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a Car - JFk - to a 15 days road trip !

Yes,

I always get my prices with insurance included.

Was talking here with my wife, and I did another search and found good price rates to pickup the car at Baltimore and drop off at at Manhattan plus Amtrak is just + U$100.

And I think it's worth the price to beat the traffic when we leave NY.

What you think about this option?!

Thank you for all !

Edited: 28 October 2013, 21:36